It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-18-2007   #1 (permalink)
Catrancher99

Default Stuffed-up Kitten

Has anyone had experience with cats with sinus and/or lung congestion? Little 7-month-old Nova came in from the cold (literally - it dipped into the low 20's for over a week beginning the night she decided to go civilized) with a cat virus similar to a human cold. The vet gave her antibiotic goo for secondary infection and antibiotic eyedrops, as well as pills for the congestion. She's much better but still rattles when she breathes. The pills are hell to give her; if she doesn't swallow them right away she foams yellow bubbles from her mouth - scares me to death. I tried a homeopathic remedy of goldenseal as well as human neo-synephrin. Both work for a while, but neither should be used for extended periods of time. I've been giving her colloidal silver to kill off the virus for a few days now. Still, I need something that'll dry up her excess mucus so the poor sweetie can breathe easily, especially at night. Signed, Exasperated Catrancher99

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-19-2007   #2 (permalink)
A-Rod's Mama

Sadly, with lung infections they can take a very long time to clear up-sometimes several months! When the lungs are filled with mucas it nees to come out... Or bacteria will grow and create a more harmful infection/illness. One thing I can recommend(which we do in children). Is to do light compressions on your cats chest. That actually helps break up the gunk so it can be coughed/hacked up. If your cats antibiotics are all gone and still exbiting reasons forworry.Call your vete-you may need something stronger! Viruses can be buggers! Good luck!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-19-2007   #3 (permalink)
Catrancher99

Thanks, A-Rod's Mama. I'll try the compressions. I assume that's where you gently squeeze or thump the chest to loosen the mucus. I've seen it done on TV programs about kids with CS (I think that's what it was). Now, if she'll just hold still for a few minutes - you know how kittens usually don't like to be "at rest" unless they're napping.

Tags
antibiotic , antibiotics , cats , children , cold , dry , hey , homeopathic , infection , kitten , kittens , night , pills , vet

Sponsored Cat Links