It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-26-2007   #1 (permalink)
EricAlana

Default Pulling fur out

Hi! I'm new to the forum but am desperately seeking help for my 10 mo. old cat. He recently started licking his fur uncontrollably. He has pulled out the fur from the top of his spine clear down to his tail in a long straight line. He's also licked off all the fur on his hind legs. His skin is bloody and raw. We put an e-collar on him, but he still managed to get to the fur. He has been eating and drinking fine. We've changed his food and litter to see if it was an allergy to them.

We took him to the vet Monday and got him a shot for allergies. The vet had never seen this before but thought Hercules should be feeling better within a day. The shot didn't help, so he gave him a dose of Revolution. That didn't help either. On Friday, the vet asked us to drop Hercules off so he could observe him. He decided to keep him overnight. By Saturday morning, he had ripped out more hair. So the vet decided to keep him all weekend.

We called the vet this morning to check on him. The vet is still puzzled and has decided to put Hercules in a lime dip. He said to call back every day or two to continue to check on him. Luckily for us, the vet has decided that because this is such a mystery to him the treatment will be no charge!

Anyhow, at this point, the vet is totally mystified at the problem. Has anyone else had this problem before?

By the way, there are 4 other cats and 3 dogs in the house. None of them have shown any signs of having this.

Thanks so much!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-26-2007   #2 (permalink)
Catrancher99

Fortunately, I've never had any personal experience with this behavior, but I've read that it can be psychologically rooted, rather than physical. Has anything occured recently that might've really really upset Hercules? Mention the possibility to the vet. And please. let us cat lovers here know how things turn out. This is upsetting, even though he's not my kitty.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-12-2007   #3 (permalink)
EricAlana

I just want to let everyone know Hercules is doing much better. He stayed at the vet for 1 1/2 wks. The vet did a lime sulfur dip on him. It seems to have cured him! The dip is usually used for ringworm. However, the vet was unable to find any signs of ringworm. Anyhow, Hercules has quit pulling out his fur, and it is growing back now. He has been home for a week now.

Unread 03-12-2007   #4 (permalink)
Catrancher99

I'm glad to know Hercules has passed through this OK. He must mean a lot to you to go through it with him rather than discard him, as some people do so easily. A gold star for you.

Unread 03-12-2007   #5 (permalink)
SuzyQII

I am so glad your kitty is feeling better!

Tags
allergies , allergy , behavior , cat , cat lovers , cats , changed , collar , dogs , eating , food , fur , home , house , kitty , licking , litter , lovers , morning , problem , raw , ringworm , upset , vet

Sponsored Cat Links