It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-30-2007   #1 (permalink)
Samantha

Default My cat only eats kitten food?

We've had our cat for about 1 1/2 years and in that time she's only eaten kitten chow. She's stopped growing and I'm worried she's not getting the right nutrients. She refuses to eat adult food-- what should I do?We've had our cat for about 1 1/2 years and in that time she's only eaten kitten chow. She's stopped growing and I'm worried she's not getting the right nutrients. She refuses to eat adult food-- what should I do? She's also very small and very skinny. Not starved skinny, but enough to make me worry.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-30-2007   #2 (permalink)
big fat pussycat

probably because it tastes better.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-30-2007   #3 (permalink)
Laura G

consult your vet, you may be able to add someliquid vitamins and mix it into the kitten food-you can probably just add something to her diet

Unread 03-30-2007   #4 (permalink)
tasgunter

Cats like to eat what they can smell or smells better...she is still a kitten I think....but mix the food together and it will make a smooth transition for your cat.

Unread 03-30-2007   #5 (permalink)
batmansgirl

She's probably at the end of her growth cycle, she's almost an adult. The only reason she still eats kitten food is because you have allowed it. My cats would prefer to eat kitten food as well and my dog would prefer to eat cat food. Kitten food is not good for a cat, it has high levels of protein in it. get rid of the kitten food and put out cat food only. She will not starve herself, when she realizes that there will be no more kitten food she will eat.A cat is considered an adult at age two, do not be fooled into thinking she is still a kitten. Kitten food is suppose to be stopped at age one.

Unread 03-30-2007   #6 (permalink)
splitt_se7en

try to mix in some adult food with the kitten food..and gradually pour only adult food when he/she is "weened" off kitten food

Unread 03-30-2007   #7 (permalink)
April

Get her off of kitten food now, you are doing her no good only harm. Only lactating cats should be on kitten food. It can damage their liver if left on it too long. Maybe you just need to play around with other brands of food until you find something she likes. If you go to petsmart or petco sometimes they have the small (couple of ounces) bags of food then you can try those out. I recommend Nutro, Science Diet, or Iams. All of those are good brands and you have less waste with them (they don't have a bunch of fillers). So there is less poop and the pet will be eating less of the food. What ever you do get her off of kitten food it isn't good for her. Talk to your vet if you can't get her to eat any adult food as they might have other ideas. I have said it a 100 times thats what we pay our vets for to be our best recource don't ever be afraid to call the vet and ask them questions about diet, behavior, or health issues thats what they are there for.

Unread 03-30-2007   #8 (permalink)
kdfirekat

Don't give it to her.Give her adult food and she will eat it if she's hungry enough.Kitten food has WAY more fat in it and is not good for a young adult cat.

Unread 03-30-2007   #9 (permalink)
Paula S

A good way to change her over to adult food is to blend the two- kitten and adult. Start off with a ratio of maybe 25% adult and 75% kitten. Over the period of about 2 weeks, gradually change the ratio. Soon she'll be on only adult food.

Tags
adult , age , art , behavior , cat , cat food , cats , diet , dog , eating , food , growth , health , hey , kitten , kitten food , petsmart , play , poop , small , smart , smell , transition , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links