It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Health & Nutrition
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-04-2007   #1 (permalink)
Randy & Brenda B

Default My cats are so messy! How do I get them to be a bit neater with litter and food??

My two year old kitties, Tyson and Shadow are, and always have been, very messy cats. Most cats I've had were very neat and clean. But these two are always knocking things over, crushing mini blinds, slinging litter everywhere (I've tried EVERY type of litter catching device - I swear they play soccer in there), and food is always spilled onto the floor and left uneaten (Ive also tried many types of feeders). They used to knock the water over, as well, but they've gotten better about that. How do I begin to train or correct these messy behaviors? I swear it's like having my own two year old boys! Help!!! lol.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-04-2007   #2 (permalink)
pinkwoodrose

I'd put them in the naughty corner till they learn.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-04-2007   #3 (permalink)
adnilebbeautiful

there are some litter trays you can buy that havecovers on them, like a little hut. they were designed for 'shy' cats but they would serve the same purpose for you. as with the cats being messy with food and stuff, i don't think i can help you. from my knowledge, because they're 2yrs old they've settled with this behaviour and it's very difficult to re-train cats.

Unread 04-04-2007   #4 (permalink)
cmg1977

They sell mats that you can put under the food dishes and under the cat litter box. A plastic type of mat with a higher edge to help keep the excess litter on it is what I recommend. I have a cat and this works great. When I change her litter box, i just pick it up and dump it with the used litter. These things are very affordable and they have many styles. You will find these in the pet section of many department stores. Try walmart first. As far as a water container, I purchased one from walmart for about $9. You fill the container of water and then put it upside down in the container and it seeps out into the bowl area of the dish. Very easy to take care of. Water lasts for a while. And your cats can't really knock it over. Not that easy for them because when it is full, it has some weight to it. My cat has never knocked hers over. I also recommend a covered cat litter box.

Unread 04-04-2007   #5 (permalink)
jwb

One of our cats does the same thing! We bought him an enclosed litter box, and that has really cut down on the litter-flinging problems! In order to prevent him from tipping over his food and water dishes, we put each in a small dish and then placed each small dish into a much larger one. That way, if he spills his food or water, it just goes into the bigger bowl.

Unread 04-04-2007   #6 (permalink)
vcanfield

I must have your cat's brother. Tipper use to sling litter all over the place until I went to Walmart and got a tall plastic bin with a lid. You have to make sure it is tall enough that the cat can stand in it with the lid on. Then I cut a hole in the lid using a box cutter. I filled it with litter, showed Tipper the hole in the box and ta da- a cheap, cool looking litter box with very little litter ever escaping. They sell these at Petco for some ridiculous price ($50, I think). You can make one for about $10.Good Luck

Unread 04-04-2007   #7 (permalink)
ciaobella

My older kitty Ash is the queen of litter-slinging, I don't think I'll ever be able to vaccuum it all up! I used to have a Litter Maid, but she kicked her litter all over, I don't think having the cover would have made any difference. I replaced it with one I found at Petco, the Booda dome. It has little "stairs" to collect the outbound litter than gets caught in their paws, and the litter tray inside is roomy enough that it stays right in the dome.

Unread 04-04-2007   #8 (permalink)
LX V

I have a huuuuuge mat under the litter box. I also keep it in the corner and resign myself to sweeping up litter every other day.You could always try to train your cat to use the toilet.As far as feeding goes, I use a ceramic pie-plate. They can't tip it over and the food doesn't go all over the place the way it does with the teeny cat bowls

Tags
affordable , behaviour , box , care , cat , cat's , catching , cats , clean , cool , cut , device , food , found , great , hey , kitties , kitty , litter , litter box , mat , pet , play , problems , queen , small , type , water , weight

Sponsored Cat Links