It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-05-2007   #11 (permalink)
Angelini

You should check with your vet first. I know that some human pills being crushed to be ingested is *very* dangerous as it causes too much medicine to get into the bloodstream too quickly.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-05-2007   #12 (permalink)
lilith

It would be better to put the pill whole in a treat. If you grind it and mix it with food, unless she likes the bowl (like dogs do) she could miss some of the dose and it will not work for time release pills. Good Luck.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-05-2007   #13 (permalink)
paul h

It won't be a problem in terms of absorption providing that they are not coated. (If they are coated tabs the coating is there to protect them from gastric juices etc in the gastrointestinal tract and crushing them will reduce the amount that gets into the system as the ingredients will get broken down in the GI tract) - The packaging should tell you if they are coated.However...the poor cats food is probably tasting RANK! If there is a nice strong flavour (tinned mackerel is great) that you can add to the food and cover the taste up a bit more that will probably help.

Unread 04-05-2007   #14 (permalink)
NEISTAT J

crushing meds do have the same effect. usuly a vet will tell you to do that.

Unread 04-05-2007   #15 (permalink)
mary m

heres how u give a cat pills if u have some 1 to help thats fine wrap the cat up in a towel or a small blanket tight with all paws in the blanket hold the cat tight slide the pill down the month it will swallow

Unread 04-06-2007   #16 (permalink)
renhoez

I don't see a problem. My Stimpy prefers liquid though. Also try drjon@petplace.com . Hey its FREE.

Unread 04-06-2007   #17 (permalink)
Emma B

yes it will - but my cat seems to just 'know' when ive put something in his food!!! they are soooo crafty!! i also once tried hiding half a pill in a piece of chicken - he ate the lot and i was like phew! then he trotted off and spat out the half pill! it was hilarious to watch - although i wasnt amused and it had wasted the half pill!

Unread 04-06-2007   #18 (permalink)
mcnallys lost child

It doesn,t make them less effective, but sometimes kitty smells them and won,t eat the food. Call your vet and see if they have a tool to give the meds with.

Unread 04-06-2007   #19 (permalink)
Sheldon J Plankton

Yep it's the only way I get them in my cat!

Unread 04-06-2007   #20 (permalink)
stephen_0512

NO, cats arent stupid they will turn their noses up at crushed tablet in food, especially if they c you doing it. best way is too force it down their neck!

Tags
antibiotics , cat , cat needs , cat's , cats , crazy , dog , dogs , eye , food , found , free , great , hey , hiding , hurt , joy , kitten , kitty , lucky , moving , nice , person , pet , pill , pills , problem , problems , small , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links