It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-05-2007   #1 (permalink)
Wafflebox

Default Does crushing cat's tablets and putting them in food have the same effect?

As you probably know, trying to give cats tablets is notoriously hard, and after several attempts I was beginning to look like a self-harmer.As such, I have since been crushing them and putting in their food. Do you know if this is as effective? The tablets were antibiotics, but now I need to give them worming tablets too and was wondering if it's okay to do it this way?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-05-2007   #2 (permalink)
Molly6969

Yes, as long as none of the medications are sustained released or time released

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-05-2007   #3 (permalink)
Ally S

yes as long as she eats the whole tablet

Unread 04-05-2007   #4 (permalink)
Vanora S

It should be fine.Another choice might be to wrap the pill in a piece of cheese.Good luck!!

Unread 04-05-2007   #5 (permalink)
dixidan_2000

If your cat is anything like mine, she will eat the food and leave the tablet behind. My hubbie had to hold her mouth open and drop the tablet in but be careful.

Unread 04-05-2007   #6 (permalink)
muluho_sasha

yes it has the same effect. I have a cat an da dog an danytime they need meds thats what I do.

Unread 04-05-2007   #7 (permalink)
Dellboy

They will be just as effective. You are lucky, most cats seem to know when crushed up tablets have been added to their food.

Unread 04-05-2007   #8 (permalink)
hullfc2007

Hi, my cat used to have to take alot of tablets. She refused to eat them so I crushed them up and placed them on her food. She started to get clever and realised that the tablet was on her food so I had to start putting food over the crushed tablet so it was completely covered. It worked fine. Hope this helps you. Thanks Garry

Unread 04-05-2007   #9 (permalink)
vivalvegas1

you can buy powdered worming tablets, called panacur (or something similar) if you put it in Tuna, have never had any bother doing it this way. I was advised by a vet with my last cat, if giving them tablets is too diffiuclt and they wont eat it in food, wrap a towel round them then tie a belt round(not too tight, but tight enough for them not to get free) and feed it too them that way, I couldnt bring myself too though! most vets sell panacur

Unread 04-05-2007   #10 (permalink)
trigger

yes it has the same effect - my vet advised me to do it as i had the same problem

Tags
antibiotics , cat , cat needs , cat's , cats , crazy , dog , dogs , eye , food , found , free , great , hey , hiding , hurt , joy , kitten , kitty , lucky , moving , nice , person , pet , pill , pills , problem , problems , small , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links