It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-06-2007   #1 (permalink)
dragonseyeangie

Default How can i keep mine and my husband's dogs from eating up the cat food?

We feed the cats their cat food and the dogs their dog food but the dogs never touch the dog food and eat the cat food insteadThe problem with some of the answers i'm getting is that, We have about 13 adult cats, some that we can't catch to take to a shelter, and all but 1 stay outside most of the time and they have different sleep habits they come in to eat and they eat a lot. so we have to keep a feeder that hold at least 10 pounds of cat food to keep them happy. Plus there is a litter of kittens that will need easy access to the food soon.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-06-2007   #2 (permalink)
urboo247

Feed them at seperate tiems and keep the dog away from the cats when feeding them. My dog eats the cat food all the time. I feed the cats up stairs and the dog down. Every once in awhile the dog sneaks up stairs. They like the cat food cause it is different from their own...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-06-2007   #3 (permalink)
Sassy6702

a cat can smell there food from a mile away so just put it up on something where the dog cant reach it and then the cat can jump there and eat in peace. my sister had the same problem and she had to ut the cat food on top of the dresser so the dog couldnt get to it. or just make a schedule to feed your cat and set it out up high on something let her eat then put it away so that you dont have to keep it there all the time

Unread 04-06-2007   #4 (permalink)
historyloser!

set the food up high like on a counter or on the dryer

Unread 04-06-2007   #5 (permalink)
Jade L

Feed them at different times. when the cats are eating the dogs could be outside or doing something Else they do daily then do the same with the cats. you might even need a schedule because some cat food can be really bad for dogs.

Unread 04-06-2007   #6 (permalink)
Penguin Gal

Often the dog and cat food are the same ingredients with different lables. My dog eats cat food all of the time, and never gets sick! If you have more questions, you can viset your local vet. For all I'm concerned, your dog is perfectly happy eating cat food, and there is no need to feed them seperatly. However, if you find your dog's behavior disturbing, then try feeding them is seperate rooms, and also at seperate times.

Unread 04-06-2007   #7 (permalink)
rockstar07

My dogs do the same.......

Unread 04-06-2007   #8 (permalink)
Sidney

Keep the cat food and cat food bowls where the dog can't reach but the cat can (like on top of the dryer in the laundry room). That way the cat can eat when it needs to and the dog can't reach. Also, if the cat spills water it can be wiped up easily.

Unread 04-06-2007   #9 (permalink)
←Neo→

There is no way to really prevent it. The best you can do (as other have stated) is to move the cat food away from the dogs. If you allow your cats to be on the counters I would suggest there. If you don't I would suggest putting it in a room and having a baby gate up so the dogs can't go in.Lol, I have the same problem. I had to put the cat food on top of the washer and the litter up as well because...well, you can imagine what they eat out of there.

Unread 04-06-2007   #10 (permalink)
kenziesmom

either block the dog from getting in where all the cats eat or pick the cat food up when they are finished.

Tags
adult , allergic , animal , attack , baby , behavior , bite , breed , cat , cat food , cats , diarrhea , diet , dog , dogs , eating , food , free , happy , hey , house , jumping , kittens , litter , love , problem , problems , puppy , shelter , sick , sleep , small , smell , surgery , training , vet , vomit , water

Sponsored Cat Links