It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-10-2007   #1 (permalink)
Kailoe A

Default Is it safe to feed a dog cat food?

My sister has a caviliar king charles, but it turns its nose up at all different varietys of dog food. The only thing that he does eat is cat food, but that is only very rare (a little bit every day or so). There is also a cat in the holsehold, so i guess its just copying her! Especially as he sits at the back door miowing, and he lays on the back of the sofas as the cat does, Is this something to worry about, or can we continue to feed him the food that is intended for cats? Human food is his favourite though, and we know that overall that can definately do him more harm than good.We are just so worried about him!!Any tips and advice would be very much appreciated.Many thanks.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-10-2007   #2 (permalink)
Dana S

Honestly if he likes cat food so much here's a trick you can use to get him eating dog food. Slowly start adding dog food to the cat food you are feeding him and then continue lessening the cat food and putting more dog food in and eventually (within a week or so) he will be eating straight dog food and won't even know it! Also cat food isn't really that good for dogs, there aren't the nutrients that dogs need in it so i would suggest getting him on dog food asap.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-10-2007   #3 (permalink)
libertydogtraining

no...cats and dogs have different nutritional needs.

Unread 04-10-2007   #4 (permalink)
Mary G

I wouldn't see why not.... it's probably fine.Ask the vet to be sure.

Unread 04-10-2007   #5 (permalink)
raspberryswirrrl

yep - you can feed dogs cat food. but you cant feed cats dog food (not enough of the right vitamins).however... it might make him fat, so keep an eye on his weight, and it could give him tummy problems (cat food is usually richer than dog food) - dont give it to him every day.Dog food is much more appropriate..

Unread 04-10-2007   #6 (permalink)
Kathy H

dogs like cat food because it is more fatty i would sugguest giving the dog dog food and then put some caned dog food on top of it and then mix it or or feed the cat and dog i differnt areas

Unread 04-10-2007   #7 (permalink)
Crazy_beautiiful.01

It's fine if he sneaks a bit of the cats food from time to time, but he can't be fed that as a main meal. Cat food lacks the vitamins that dogs need and therefore they have to eat dog food.Good luckEdit: P is right, 5 out of 7 of my dogs are picky as ever, I fed them some Innova EVO kibble and they just chowed it down, you should try it! It's extremely healthy too.

Unread 04-10-2007   #8 (permalink)
the pea ??? lol!

mix both together so he gets the benefit of both. or give him dry dog food.

Unread 04-10-2007   #9 (permalink)
drvns2001

No its not ok, its never ok to feed a dog cat food, cat food are for cats specifically and thats how the ingredients are constituted also.

Unread 04-11-2007   #10 (permalink)
Gabriel G

NO IT´S NOT. Cat´s metabolism rates are slower than dog´s, therefore cat food is often added with taurine, a stimulant chemical which causes an increase in the cat´s metabolism rates, so if you feed your dog cat food you are putting it´s heart at risk.

Tags
advice , animal , art , breed , cat , cat food , cats , diet , dog , dogfood , dogs , dry , eating , eye , fish , food , happy , healthy , hey , hurt , love , mat , medical , morning , night , nose , pet , petsmart , problem , problems , rare , royal , small , smart , sneeki , tips , type , vet , vomit , weight , won't eat , worry

Sponsored Cat Links