It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-11-2007   #1 (permalink)
chef_jennifer01

Default What is a good but reasonably priced (not cheap) food for cats and kittens?

I have a grown cat and a stray kitten I just took in (looks about 6 months). I'm wondering if anyone knows what is a healthy food to feed to them. Obviously, they'll need two different kinds but can anyone recommend a brand? My big guy only eats dry but the hungry kitten will take anything. Should I feed the baby a mix of wet and dry?? What is the healthiest option for him and for the adult?? Thanks!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-11-2007   #2 (permalink)
debk

Cereals are better for them than canned foods. Purina kitten chow and Purina cat chow are good.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-11-2007   #3 (permalink)
WENDY S

I think you should feed them a good well made dry cat food, better for their teeth and kidneys. Anything NOT made my MENU foods should be ok. I used to use Meow Mix when I had my kids(cats)and they did fine on it.

Unread 04-11-2007   #4 (permalink)
Sirena Doren

Honestly, I'd recommend Hill's Science Diet. It is decently expensive but it's the best thing you could do for your pets. The dry food is just fine for the kitten, in fact, it has benefits in the sense it helps with dental hygiene. There is a plus side to wet food, too, though. It can help prevent UTIs (urinary track infections) in male cats, because you're adding more moisture to his diet but this is not a sure thing. It's quite common for a PH imbalance to cause a UTI, not just lack of hydration. Personally, I like to switch between the two (of the same formula, obviously) just because my cats enjoy it. Good luck and congrats on the new addition!

Unread 04-11-2007   #5 (permalink)
BajaRick

store name brands are the same recipes as the big names , read the ingredients and compare to see whats what

Unread 04-11-2007   #6 (permalink)
thecat_didit

If you go to a feed store, they will usually be your best help as far as food goes (I wouldn't go to Petco or Petsmart - the people that work there don't usually know what they are talking about) or ask your vet - any vet -and they can tell you. You can buy a cheaper brand from a grocery store and pay what you think is cheaper but you will actually go through it a lot faster therefore eventually spending more. The best thing to do is to buy one of the more expensive brands from your vet or a local feed store. I buy Nature's recipe and pay about 32 dollars for a 20+ lb bag. But it will last me for three months for two cats. So I pay a tiny bit over 10/mo for my food. The reason is that the more expensive brands don't have as much 'filler' in them, therefore the cats eat less because they aren't hungry as often. They also have less waste on a better food. LOL, I equate it to us eating either Burger King or a good home cooked meal at home. One is more expensive and makes you go to the bathroom more often - the other is cheaper and you don't feel so 'blah' all the time... lol.My vet when my cats were kittens that said to only feed a cat hard food, never soft as soft is more a treat than to be used as nurioushment. Hard food helps keep their teeth clean and healthy also. He was also the one who told us to buy the better brands... As a tip off... the better brands will not be sold in your grocery store. At one yr a kitten is considered a cat and can go on what your other cat is eating. It really won't hurt your kitten to go on your older cats food now. As long as your older cat isn't on a less active food for seniors.Some really good brands are Natures Recipe, California Natural, Felidae. My favorite that my cats did great on was Wysong. They don't sell it where we live now so I had to switch them. AvoCat is pretty good too, but some cats it is too rich for and makes them pukey. I say don't buy at petco or petsmart simply because twice now over the years I have gone into one of those stores to buy something and seen animals peeing on the food on the floor. One time I asked someone to get down a bag that was higher up thinking it would be ok and you could smell the pee on the bag and the guy made the comment 'oh i guess that one didn't get wiped off before they put it up'. Then my neice started working at one of those places and said that at the end of the night if they notice food on the floor that has been urinated on, they use windex and a paper towel to wipe the bag off and rotate it to the upper shelves! Ok, ewwww. Then my vet told me never to go to those places because you don't know if a sick dog has been by the food or done what on the food! Soooo, every time we move to a new state I look up pet foods or feed stores in the phone book and find a local mom and pop store to buy the better brands from.As a side note... I know we always want what is best for our lil kittens but sometimes it gets a lil pricey. Remember that in the wild kittens at six months eat all kinds of crap, literally, lol. My one kitten when she was four months old decided that our dogs food was yummier than her soft food (this was before I found out that soft wasn't good for them) and she started eating it. It would take a while longer for her to eat but she would widdle the food down until she got full, lol. It would not be detrimental at all to have both your cats on the same food. Any of the higher end brands of food in the adult formula are going to be much better than a grocery store (ie friskies, ONE, purina, IAMS...etc -these ALL have massive fillers so that your animal will eat more and then you have to buy more) kitten formula anyday. Anyway... Good Luck. I hope this helped some!

Unread 04-11-2007   #7 (permalink)
Sophiesmom

I use Kitten Chow, it has everything in it and my baby loves it...Mix a little wet with the dry...

Unread 04-11-2007   #8 (permalink)
L.K.

I feed my cat Iams It is a bit expensive but some stores always have it on sale. I keep dry food out 24/7 and I feed her 3oz of canned food in the evening.

Unread 04-11-2007   #9 (permalink)
junzfour

Fancy feast! Purina is one thT IS NOT ON THE RECALL LIST.

Unread 04-11-2007   #10 (permalink)
Noahlot

Cats are still dying from Menu Foods wheat gluten found in more than 100 brands including Science Diet, Eukaneuba, and Iams. Has everyone forgotten?I recommend a premium brand that has little or no grain products (how much grain do cats eat in farm fields?) and no animal byproducts. Wellness and Lick Your Chops are two such brands and neither was affected by the recall because they never use wheat gluten as a cheap protein substitute. There are several other brands, and if you do a little Googling, you'll find them. http://www.healthypetfoodsinc.com/ly...erhubbard.com/

Tags
addition , adult , animal , baby , book , california , canned food , cat , cat food , cats , clean , diet , dog , dogs , dry , dry food , eating , food , found , great , healthy , hey , home , hurt , joy , kitten , kittens , male , meow , night , orijen , peeing , petsmart , sale , sick , smart , smell , stray , wet food , wild

Sponsored Cat Links