It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-12-2007   #1 (permalink)
wolvesoftime

Default Is it ok to feed your cat different brands of cat food?

I am getting a kitten soon and of course i've been reading everything i can about proper care. I'm a young single working girl with not too much spare cash, so i wont be able to afford top of the range kitten food. I've read contradicting information on wether it is ok to feed different brands of food regularly. Does anyone know? Thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-12-2007   #2 (permalink)
spelling nazi

I have a 12-year-old cat and I feed her at least 3 brands on a regular basis. I don't buy anything "prescription" or top of the line either.....I just buy her different things for a little variety.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-12-2007   #3 (permalink)
iam2inthis

Any one of the following is the same, all made by menu foodsAmericas Choice, Preferred PetsAuthority Last Updated: April 5, 2007Best Choice Last Updated: April 5, 2007Companion Last Updated: April 5, 2007Compliments Last Updated: April 5, 2007Demoulas Market BasketEukanuba Last Updated: April 5, 2007Fine Feline CatFood LionFoodtownGiant Companion Last Updated: April 5, 2007HannafordHill Country Fare Last Updated: April 5, 2007Hy-VeeIams Last Updated: April 5, 2007Laura LynnLi'l RedLoving MealsMeijer's Main ChoiceNutriplanNutro Max Gourmet Classics Last Updated: April 5, 2007Nutro Natural Choice Last Updated: April 5, 2007PawsPet Pride Last Updated: April 5, 2007Presidents Choice Last Updated: April 5, 2007Price ChopperPriority USSave-A-Lot Special BlendSchnucksScience Diet Feline Savory Cuts CansSophistacat Last Updated: April 5, 2007Special Kitty Canada Last Updated: April 5, 2007Special Kitty US Last Updated: April 5, 2007Springfield PrizeSproutStop & Shop Companion Last Updated: April 5, 2007Tops Companion Last Updated: April 5, 2007Wegmans Last Updated: April 5, 2007Weis Total PetWestern Family USWhite RoseWinn Dixie

www.menufoods.com

Unread 04-12-2007   #4 (permalink)
mobo

Yes I used to feed my cat's whatever was cheapest. If you are trying a new brand only buy 1 tin and make sure you have something they like, in case they won't eat the new kind. I also found they were fond of the drIEd food ( The balanced diet type ie. Iam's ) If you do use the dried food give them the amount recommended it doesn't look much but it all they need and they seem to put on weight if you give them to much. It also works out cheaper than tinned. If your not sure try your vet as some off them have free sample packs of the dried . Hope you enjoy having a cat as much as I did

Unread 04-12-2007   #5 (permalink)
cupids_dolls

Here is the thing, with all the food recall you better be careful. Just because some brands haven't been recalled YET, doesn't mean they aren't going to be. Alot of people have had pets die from eating Friskies, 9 Lives, Whiskas, Fancy Feast, Meow Mix, Special Kitty ect. Make sure that whatever you are feeding your kitty doesn't have wheat gluten in it. I used Friskies for years (at the time I didn't know how bad and what kind of awful things they used to make friskies or I would never of fed it to my cats), but my cats started acting sick so I switched to Natural Balance. It is more expensive, but it really isn't. What I mean is it doesn't take as much to fill them up. I feed them the dry Natural balance and I leave it out all the time for them and then I feed them a can of natural balance in the morning and divide it between the three of them and then again at night. Since you just have one kitten you could feed it 1/3 of a can in the morning and 1/3 of a can at night and put dry out for it to snack on in between. To make sure it stays freash and doesn't dry out after you open the can, put the rest of the can in a sandwich resealable plastic baggie. My cats are picky eaters and they like Natural balance. I think in the long run I am actually saving money feeding them this, because they were eating up to 6 cans a day of Friskies (2 a piece) and they only eat 2 cans a day of Natural Balance. Also, it saves on vet bills, I can already tell a difference in my cats after switching them, they are more playful and seem happier. Plus, I don't have to worry about recalls since that I don't use a brand that is made by Menu or contains anything bad for my cat. If you can't afford to do what is best for your kitten then maybe you don't need one yet. Before you get a pet make sure that you can afford to not only feed it, but can afford to also pay for it's shots yearly and pay to get it fixed if it isn't yet. If I were you I would put back a little each month just in case you ever have to take it to the vet if it gets sick. Also, remember pets are not cheap and when you get one it should be like a member of the family. You wouldn't feed your kids stuff that could kill them in the long run, why would you do it to your pets?

Tags
bills , care , cat , cat food , cat's , cats , diet , dry , eating , family , fixed , food , found , free , girl , hey , iam , joy , kitten , kitten food , kitty , meow , money , morning , natural , night , recalls , sick , stop , type , vet , vet bills , weight , won't eat , worry

Sponsored Cat Links