It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-12-2007   #1 (permalink)
roguex_1979

Default My cat (again) keeps scratching around her food and water bowl...?

Why is she doing this? She'll eat or drink, and then scratch at the floor around the area, as if she's trying to cover the stuff up (like she would if she'd done a wee/No. 2 in her litter box). Anyone else's cat do this? Any ideas why?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-12-2007   #2 (permalink)
psiloluv

My orange cat does this and I learned that it's an instinctual behavior to hide their food.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-12-2007   #3 (permalink)
chrissie

Are you a multi cat household? It's just that I have five and one of the females does the same thing and I think she's letting the others know that this is HER food!

Unread 04-12-2007   #4 (permalink)
Jiko

hummm.......just one of the particularities of a cats life.

Unread 04-12-2007   #5 (permalink)
giggles9783

my cats do it too and im in the vet profession and I dont even know. i think its a territorial thing

Unread 04-12-2007   #6 (permalink)
chispa

lol! My cat does the same thing. Like clock work, every morning at about 5:30 am, he will scratch and scratch to cover up his "business" in the litter box. This goes on for about five minutes and wakes my boyfriend and I up every day. I think maybe they do this to leave their scent behind.

Unread 04-12-2007   #7 (permalink)
live_your_life_598

My cat did this too. But it was occasionally. I don't think you have anything to worry about, maybe she just thinks it's litter

Unread 04-12-2007   #8 (permalink)
kitrina7158

My vet told me that cats will do this when they feel comfortable and at ease. She said it was the same action they do as kittens when nursing from the mom.

Unread 04-12-2007   #9 (permalink)
Brian H

A friend of mine has a cat that does this a couple times a day, and its been going on for years.There doesn't seem to be a way, or a reason, to stop the behavior. I think that you are correct. The cat is trying to bury something. Multiple cats are in this other household... Good luck

Unread 04-12-2007   #10 (permalink)
WFH

I agree with Kitrina7. My cat does this whenever I serve her favourite food (tuna) in her bowl. I think cats will do this when they are happy.

Tags
behavior , box , boyfriend , business , care , cat , cats , cleaning , computer , eating , eyes , food , happy , hey , kittens , litter , litter box , mess , morning , poo , save , scratch , scratching , sleep , stop , territorial , vet , water , why? , worry

Sponsored Cat Links