It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-15-2007   #1 (permalink)
j p 2000

Default Can a sick cat be given liquid food under its skin?

My cat has suddenly developed bad ulcers in her mouth and is in too much pain to eat. The vet has been giving her fluid under her skin, but she needs food badly. She is getting extremely weak and it is a life or death situation. I was wondering if it would be possible to give her liquid food under her skin? If she was given something like glucose (corn syrup) mixed with water, maybe the sugar would dissolve into her body. I was also thinking of maybe canned kitten milk. Anyone know if this would work?It would be nice if she could be given food intravenously but the vet says cats tend to rip the needles out, so I would like to do it under her skin.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-15-2007   #2 (permalink)
amwil4

i don't know, but i do know that there is this gel you might be able to put onto her tongue. It might hurt but it is a concentrated combination of nutrients, minerals, and vitamins.If the ulcers don't clear up though, you might end up having to consider letting her go. If she's in too much pain and if this isn't likely to clear up, it would be the best thing for her.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-15-2007   #3 (permalink)
Sarah C- Equine Help 101

Injecting straight food, like milk, into her skin could possibly cause a blood infection and wouldn't get to her stomach to properly be digested. I suggest you go back to the vet and keep your cat there! OBVIOUSLY she needs critical care and the help of a professional! Only a vet can help heal the ulcers and find the cause and only a vet can get her properly hydrated and fed! He shoud NOT have sent you and your kitty home, and he could be sued for malpractice!If you have been talking to the vet regularly then why not ask HIM? Especially if you KNOW she is on the brink of death! Poor thing!

Unread 04-15-2007   #4 (permalink)
princessmikey

You can assist feed. There's a yahoo group about this, which I'd recommend. There's also a website: http://www.assistfeed.com/FelineAnorexia.htmThis is a great site with a section on assist feeding:http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_...d_feeding1With instructions: http://www.holisticat.com/ffeed.htmlFrom my Feline Chronic Renal Failure list, baby food mixed with a little water and syringe fed is the way most people go, Hill's a/d feline is good. One big BUT: check the baby food labels!!! DO NOT use any that contain garlic or onions as these can make a bad situation worse.Here's the assist feeding group address:http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/F...sted-Feeding/I found the CRF group to be invaluable.It's a good thing you want to be proactive. Cats cannot go too long without food or they develop liver problems. Good luck and I hope your kitty will feel better soon.

Unread 04-15-2007   #5 (permalink)
SuzyQII

Princessmilkey is correct. You can use a syringe to "force" feed you kitty. Hill's a/d with a little water - the vets can show you how. You need to watch due to the liver problems develop quickly! Bring your kitty to another vet!

Tags
baby , care , cat , cats , food , found , great , hey , home , hurt , infection , kitten , kitty , nice , problems , sick , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links