It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-15-2007   #1 (permalink)
ldeaey

Default How do I get my cat to stop putting her dry food in her water bowl?

I adopted her from the Humane Society about seven years ago. As far as I know she is 13 years old. And ever since I have had her she has put her dry food in her water. I use to think she had sensative teeth and she was just softening it up, but she leaves it in there and the water gets really gross and smelly. I have had other cats that won't touch the water after she does that. How can I get her to stop?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-15-2007   #2 (permalink)
Michael C

move them a little bit further apart if it keeps happening move the food about a foot apart

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-15-2007   #3 (permalink)
bond james

wake up, your cat is asking for wet food .

Unread 04-15-2007   #4 (permalink)
Big Bruce

Separate the water bowl from the food bowl at least a foot.We used to keep a water bowl on a bathroom counter-top, and the food in the kitchen.Some cats are messy eaters, and scatter their food everywhere. I've had a couple who would dump their dry food on the floor, and then eat it, but not from the bowl.Some of their food would wind up int the water, and scum things up pretty fast.Some cats like their food soft, you can take a small bowl and put a little water in it with some dry food, and see if your cat prefers it, or not.

Unread 04-15-2007   #5 (permalink)
Aztrik

I have 4 cats and all of them put their dry food in their water dish. I have come to the conclusion, after watching them for awhile that they do it when the water has been sitting a while and they want fresh. It is your cats way of telling you to change the water. cats LOVE fresh water, the fresher the beter. So just change the water when ever you notice food floting in there, its the only thing you can do other then buy an expencive cat fountian with a filter.

Unread 04-15-2007   #6 (permalink)
satirical_4_irus

awww.... cats do that, just let her do it. Keep extra water dishes around for other drinking areas. I have 2 water bowls in my house and I only have one cat. I do this so that I know she can get water when ever she wants without having to walk around the house for it(she's old) She is also known to put the dry food in the closest water bowl...lol I think it's because dry food is soooo boring and she wants to make it more exciting. So I keep an extra supply of wet food in a separate bowl....to make sure she is eating. Cats are known to put dry food in the water bowl...sometimes they just want something mushy and easy on the teeth.

Unread 04-15-2007   #7 (permalink)
Kyle M.

you can't, you just got to keep changing their water more than you used to . Ours do it too, and it is very annoying.

Unread 04-15-2007   #8 (permalink)
DCMerkle

I think that what everyone has said is pretty much the way it is for cats. My two babies don't like soft food, so putting their food in the water bowl is just their way of making us work for their love and attention.

One of mine won't drink out of a bowl. She has a glass, cut glass at that. She also has to drink from the faucet in the tub or the bathroom sink.

DCMerkle

Unread 03-01-2017   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

BobbyJane is on a distinguished road
Default Oliver

Here's my experience with kibbles in the water. I used one of those fountain type water dishes with fresh running water, and the kibbles still went into the water. I give him fresh water every day, and more kibbles get in there. Here's the thing....the kibbles stay in the water, he doesn't eat them. So I am totally mystified as to why he does this.
Unread 03-01-2017   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJane View Post
Here's my experience with kibbles in the water. I used one of those fountain type water dishes with fresh running water, and the kibbles still went into the water. I give him fresh water every day, and more kibbles get in there. Here's the thing....the kibbles stay in the water, he doesn't eat them. So I am totally mystified as to why he does this.
Whatever the reason you should stop feeding him dry food anyway. It's horrible for cats and leads to many health problems..

For more information go to

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Tags
adopted , babies , cat , cats , cut , dry , dry food , eating , fast , food , fur , health , hey , house , love , royal , small , stop , type , wake , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links