It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-16-2007   #1 (permalink)
jcl

Default How do we make the transition from dry to wet cat food? Brand suggestions?

I'm ashamed to admit but in the last few months (due to a combination of human illness, time, and budget constraints) we've been feeding our sweet feline friends only dry food (Science Diet). I know this is terrible so you don't have to remind me of that. All the press on the cat food recall has now got me thinking again about their nutritional needs. So, we are planning to return to an exclusively wet food diet (we've tried raw, which I know is best, but they won't go for it and honestly, as a 2 x full-time student household with an infant, it's not sustainable.) So, I have a two-part question for introducing a fully wet diet: 1) How should we transition from dry kibbles to canned foods? 2) What brands are best? I'm trying to strike a balance between quality and cost. Here is a list of recommended wet foods: http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/tp/tpcannedadult.htm Anyone have any thoughts on these brands? Thanks.P.S. Previously we feed them PetGaurd branned canned food.Wow. Um, dry cat food is really bad for cats ... I'd prefer to get some answers from people with vet training and/or who have done research into feline nutritional needs. Thanks.By the way, the recall problem was with wheat-gluten. This is a primary ingredient in dry foods. All of the cat food brands on the link above do not include wheat gluten.Yeah, uh, by the way. Cat dental problems are usually the result of insufficient protein of which dry foods are sorely deficient. If you are serious about their dental health, you need to brush your cats' teeth.I never thought that I'd be the one doing the educating on this question. I'd encourage you all to visit: http://www.catinfo.org/So, if anyone is else is actually interested in getting the answer to this question. Here is an essay about the very issue. How to make the transition from dry to wet food and why: http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitionin..._Canned_Food_I made the choice to feed our cats wet food based on scientific research on the evolution of feline diets and vet essays. If anyone has any scientific/medical vet essays that argue that a dry food diet is better, I'd be really eager to see them (after all, I do want the best thing for the cats). Please post the sources. I have access to medical journals and if given the complete citations, can easily find them. Thanks!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-16-2007   #2 (permalink)
js01ss

What ios so wrong with fedding your cats dry cat food not all of it has been contaminated. Try Purins cat chow dry there is no need to switch but if you do mix dry and wet food together.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-16-2007   #3 (permalink)
wink

I Would Mix Dry And Wet Together. A Constant Supply Of Wet Food Causes The Runs In Cats If You Know What I Mean. You Will End Up Spending All The Extra Money On Carpet Cleaning Agents.

Unread 04-16-2007   #4 (permalink)
Kayak Girl

We did the IAMS thing until the recall, NEVER again....I don't trust them anymore.....now I give her Fancy Feast Wet Food....and SHE LOVES IT.. There are so many choices and she like it a lot better than Iams.

Unread 04-16-2007   #5 (permalink)
rugbee

What's wrong with dry food? I've fed all my cats dry almost exclusively. Right now the vet has put my fat cat is on wet food to see if he will lose because he has been on a perpetual diet of measured and controlled feedings and didn't lose weight. I get Natural Balance found conveniently at Petco and at a relatively reasonable cost. None of their products have been on recall and they don't use corn fillers or byproducts.

Unread 04-16-2007   #6 (permalink)
helen k

it is not a bad thing. cats need dry food it cleans their teeth and strengthens gums. i would suggest letting your cat eat both! i usually feed my cat dry food all day and canned food 3 - 4 times a day. to make the transistion may i suggest mixing friskies canned food about 1/4 of a can with some of your dry cat food.your cat should start to eat the can food in about a week or two.

Unread 04-16-2007   #7 (permalink)
oras9874

actually a dry food diet is better for the cats in the long run. They have fewer problems with their teeth. And their weight is more easily retained. If you are feeling bad about the all dry food you can give wet food as a treat. But if you are determined to give the poor little ones bad teeth and urine tract problems in their old age then start mixing the wet food in with the dry and slowly put less dry food in the mixture each day. That should keep the diareah away while you are making the switch. but please provide your cats with plenty of hard treats if you are going with the wet food so their theeth don't get to bad.

Unread 04-16-2007   #8 (permalink)
minus

What is wrong with dry food? I have cats and they have dry food out all the time so when they want a snack they can have it. I also buy small fresh fish twice a week and steam them so they can have a fish each morning and evening. They are very healthy and active. Two are seven and one is three. I buy Purina dry cat food and also dog food for the poodle. Purina has been in the animal food business for a very long time and are good at it.

Unread 04-16-2007   #9 (permalink)
az_mommma

I use a mix of dry and wet food. I don't think one or the other exclusively can provide enough nutrition for a cat. I don't have scientific research to back this though, just a cat who lived to be 20 years old and acted like a kitten until the day she died.

Unread 04-16-2007   #10 (permalink)
dr_d_man1

we had been feeding our dogs commercial dog foods for some time until one of them got real sick to the point where we though we would have to have him put to sleep. A friend of ours told us about this company that makes only holistic products. They make the batchs of food as they are ordered and then shipped to the customer fresh. No wheat, cor or bi-products ever used. Our sickley boy got better after only 2 weeks of being on this new diet. At 1st look it appears to be expensive but considering how fortified the food is, You ultimately feed your pet less. ONE TIP I CAN GIVE YOU : I you go to the web site you can order free samples and once you see if your pet likes it you can go onto "Auto Ship" and save Lots. Here is the web site and good luck with your cat.http://nancyshealthnet.comAlso if you are interested in making some extra money on the side you can become a rep as well and investment is very little.

Tags
age , animal , art , boy , business , canned food , carpet , cat , cat food , cats , cleaning , diet , dog , dry , dry food , food , found , friends , health , hey , medical , money , morning , natural , nutrition , poodle , problem , problems , question , raw , save , small , suggestions , thoughts , training , transition , urine , vet , weight , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links