It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-16-2007   #1 (permalink)
louman333

Default Are German Short hairs good family dogs. I have opt. to get a 2 yr male.

bark? chew? kids? cats? Health?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-16-2007   #2 (permalink)
boycrazi100

It really depends on how it's former owners raised it.They have a tendency to be a little cocky.They bark very often.They chew.I really do not know much about their health.And kids......I am really not so sure about.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-16-2007   #3 (permalink)
glamourl0ve

"The German Shorthaired Pointer is very energetic, smart and willing to please. Cheerful and friendly, he likes children. Loyal and protective, he loves all family members equally, especially if they are carrying the leash, car key, gun or Frisbee. They are very people-oriented, and not happy if isolated from the family. If exercised sufficiently once or twice a day, the German Shorthaired Pointer makes a very agreeable family companion. If left to his own devices for long periods without exercise or companionship, he can become destructive and nervous. Males tend to be more outgoing and are more aggressive hunters than females. Females tend to be less dominant. Energy levels vary somewhat, as litters bred for high performance field competition may require more activity than the average Shorthair. If raised with other dogs and cats from puppyhood, the German Shorthaired Pointer does quite well; however, he is a hunting dog by nature. This breed likes to bark and they are reserved with strangers."If raised with cats, they should be fine with them. Was this 2 year old GSP raised with cats? "Usually a healthy breed but some are prone to epilepsy, hermaphrodism and lymphedema. Some minor concerns are CHD, entropion, gastric torsion, VWD, pannus, OCD."http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/germanshorthairedpointer.htmHope that helps!

Unread 04-17-2007   #4 (permalink)
happynoodledance

It depends on the individual dog. If the dog is already two then it should have its habits fairly set, so you should be able to tell very quickly if he is good with children or cats. All dogs bark and chew. You just need to make sure these things are properly directed. For barking, I only allow my dogs to bark 2-3 times for a warning bark to me. I taught them this by shoving food in their face after the second bark for the first while then only treating them if they stop after the second bark to look for the treat once they start anticipating it. I don't know that this is the most effective way to teach it, but it worked.For chewing, make sure you have a number of chew toys for him, and make sure you get him a kong. You can stuff the kong with treats (recipes on the kong website) and this will help teach him what is acceptable to chew.

Tags
aggressive , art , breed , cats , chewing , children , dog , dogs , family , food , friendly , happy , health , healthy , hey , male , nervous , smart , stop , toys

Sponsored Cat Links