It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-17-2007   #1 (permalink)
aimee_the_angel

Default Dog and cat sharing food??

Ok- we have a cat and a dog. They have seperate food bowls and water bowls. (although sharing water isn't a biggie) The dog has dog food and the cat has cat food. When we got the puppy they were eating each other's food non-stop and thinking nothing about it. We tried about 50 different methods. Well, we finally put the cat's food on top of the washing machine and he knows that is his food and he eats there. So we at least know the dog isn't eating cat food. The problem: There is nowhere that the dog can go that the cat can't.... so the cat does eat his food now and then. It's not like he just chows down on it. But he does take some bites now and then. It's not a big deal to me, but some say that it is VERY bad for dogs and cats to mix each others food. Please tell me that isn't true. I've merely run out of options here.Thanks in advance. Like I said.. isn't a big deal to me, but I want to make sure they will both remain healthy.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-17-2007   #2 (permalink)
TONIA S

i know this might not help but, i remember my vet saying that it was not good for the dog to eat only cat food cause he is a omnivor and cat food is geared toward a cats carnivore diet. so i think cats can eat dog food but dogs should not eat cat food. however, if they are still eating mostly their own foods and only small amounts of of the others, it should be ok.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-17-2007   #3 (permalink)
Michael H

fortunately,cats won't eat very much of dog foods, but a dog will devour anything edibal. you won't have any problems with your cat nibbling a little dog chow but you were very wise to put the cats food where the dog can't get to it.the nutriants are differant between dog food and cat food.

Unread 04-17-2007   #4 (permalink)
mom of 2

Your main worry would be the dog eating the cat food and you have that taken care of. Cat food is too rich for dogs. If the cat is eating some dog food from time to time, you don't have a thing to worry about.

Unread 04-17-2007   #5 (permalink)
Robin C

Talk to your vet. The foods are not designed to be mixed. Cats and dogs need different nutrients and are sensitive to different ingredients. If your dog will eat all of her food at once, then take the cat out of the room when you are feeding the puppy. But if your puppy is a grazer and only eats a little at a time it is going to be difficult.

Unread 04-17-2007   #6 (permalink)
Snowhiker

You should not leave food down for a puppy.I feed my 12 week old Lab puppy three times a day. I will place the bowl down and give her a few moments to eat. She will eat all her food. It is very important to know how much food your puppy is getting. The puppy will not grow strong and have strong muscles. Puppies need the right puppy food to grow properly and the right amount to do so.I have a cat but she does not get a chance to eat my puppy's food. I have a bowl of water for each one of the animals.My cat has a litter box in the bathroom and that is where I keep her food. There is a gate at the door so the puppy can't get in.Please make sure your puppy is eating properly!!Good Luck

Unread 04-17-2007   #7 (permalink)
Nedra E

That's funny. I had that same thing happen. BUT...My dogs are large breed dogs and the cat would never get enough food, so I had to stop the dog from eating the cat food. The cats can't eat enough to cause the dog to go hungry; only the dog can starve the cat.I made a "cat house" by putting some lattice in an archway over the cat apartment. I made a back door so the cat can climb through to reach the food. Dogs can sniff and see but not eat. I did this after I found the dog jumped on top of the cabinet to eat the cat's food.

Unread 04-17-2007   #8 (permalink)
PRINTS

I think it is worse for the dog to eat the cat's food, but really only if it ate a lot of it, a lot of the time. Of course, this would also be bad, in that the cat would not be getting to eat its food since dogs eat a LOT compared to cats. The cat eating on a high surface is a good idea, and that is what we had to do for our cats, as dogs will go anywhere to find food, especially to the cat food bowl! I think the cat food could cause digestive problems if the dog ate a lot of it. Regarding the cat eating the dog's food: Someone surmised that you are leaving food out for your dog. If the cat is just eating a few morsels while you are getting the food ready for the dog, then that shouldn't be a big problem (our cats have been scooping into the dog food while I get the dog food ready, and they seem to be O.K.) I suppose if the cat starts to throw-up, get constipated, diarhhea, or something like that, then you might be concerned. If, however, you are leaving food out for the dog to graze on during the day, that is not good for either the dog or the cat. The dog should be given its portion of food, and the food should be put away until the evening feeding. Dogs can become obese if they are allowed to eat at will. Dogs will eat anything, anytime (at least our dogs will). With dog food out all day, then the cat will get an unbalanced diet (probably more fat than cats usually get), and for no other reason than it is getting too much food, the cat could have obesity problems. Maybe you are not leaving food out for either one of them, but if you are, some options are: give the dog some dog bones or hardened rawhide (the darker and more clear ones) to chew on; or get one of the toys that dispenses little treats while the dog plays with it, as this gives the dog something to do while trying to eat. Dogs like to chew on bones, and this is a normal activity and is good for their teeth. They won't get overweight from it, and they enjoy it - just make sure that the bones are not chicken or pork bones. The bones at the pet supply store are selected specifically for dogs. Round bones from the grocery store, baked at home work as long as they are not so small that the dog can get it stuck in its mouth or throat. One really fun thing you can do for your dog, is to get one of the bones that is hollow inside and smear something good-tasting inside. The dog will spend quite a bit of time trying to get to the stuff in the middle even before chewing on the bone. Give the cat toys to occupy it, or a scratching post, perhaps?

Tags
apartment , bites , box , breed , car , care , cat , cat food , cat toys , cat's , cats , chewing , diet , dog , dogs , eating , food , found , fun , funny , healthy , hey , home , house , litter , litter box , moments , obesity , overweight , pet , problem , problems , puppy , scratching , small , stop , toys , vet , water , won't eat , worry

Sponsored Cat Links