It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-18-2007   #1 (permalink)
evelyn.cummings

Default just because brand name dog and cat food are on recall can we feed our...

...pets dry food even tho the brand has be the brands that are being recalled for wet and moist.can we still feed the dry food from THE brands that did get recalled.? like i'm feeding my dog parina puppy ( dry food ) is it safe.?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-18-2007   #2 (permalink)
MRose

I wouldnt chance it. They keep adding more and more to the list, and its not worth the consequences. Throw it out and buy something that hasnt been recalled. Royal Canin is a good brand, FYI

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-19-2007   #3 (permalink)
texas_angel_wattitude

Yes you can feed it the dry. The wet and moist are manifactured in a different plant or area of the plant which was not affected by the recall. Your dog is safe and its not in EVERY single package of the wet or moist the recall was just to insure that all packages made in that plant during a specific time frame were not used "just in case". Kinda like a recall on a car not every car will be affected its just a safety measure

Unread 04-19-2007   #4 (permalink)
rowen

Just keep a close eye on your puppy any changes in behavior go to the vet. I stopped feeding my dog the dry food even though it wasn't recalled but I think its okay .

Unread 04-19-2007   #5 (permalink)
winnie

I agree with the lady who said why chance it it is better to error on the side of caution. THey have not tested the dry food because they are claiming that it was melamine that has poisoned the food (used in dog food as a thinkiner and therefore not in the dry food) yet with the other corner of their mount they say that they are stillnot sure that the ingredient that is killling the dogs is in fact melamine. so if it was one or two or a combination of ingredients and they didn ot check for it then We as the public are up the creek without our paddle and no one seems to care about htat because we as the consumers are only good for making money off of and when it costs ( who ever we are paying our money to) money to keep us safe they don't care to do it. THis si a terrible injustice in our society. I ahve tried to take some dry food in for testing to the public health departmetn ans the first question i was asked was "Is this because of he recall because we don't test for that you will have to contact your vet." so I did and my vet said" if your dog is sick or dead then we will check the food other wise forget it. " Again another terrible injustice because i am (A should a vet ) keep the best interest of my dog FIRST and PARAMOUNT. I am willing to pay out of my own pocket for this testing and NO ONE WILL DO IT. IT is criminal to have to put my dog through misery frist before finding out if his food supply is safe. if the vet believed his water was contaminated would he blindly drink it before having it tested. I don't think so I wouldn't chance it NO He would test it first and then drink it that is a no brainer. But for some reason it is not applied here in this case.

Unread 04-19-2007   #6 (permalink)
king_a_pastora

no check the internet even dry food is geting recalled

Unread 04-19-2007   #7 (permalink)
I_love_my_dogs

Dry food is being recalled now too..Spend a little more money and get canidae..

Unread 04-19-2007   #8 (permalink)
winter_jc

Technically it should be safe but I wouldn't recommend it. The large scale recall was for contaminated wheat gluten, which is used as a thickening agent in wet food, so it is not present in dry food. The new recall by Natural Balance is for contaminated rice protein, which is used in some dry foods. Check your packaging to see if rice protein is listed as an ingredient. Of course there is no guarantee that they won't discover more contaminated ingredients. I don't think we are done with the new recalls yet so keep a close eve on your puppy.

Unread 04-19-2007   #9 (permalink)
candigyrl8402

I had a little bit of a bad experience with Iams dry food my puppy started not acting like herself so I took her to the vet. It turned out she was having a little trouble with her kidneys the vet told me that the recalled dog food has that affect on puppies and if I had fed her any. So I told him yes (but it was the dry) what he told me was that he would recommend me to not feed her any of the recalled food because they still werent sure exactly what had been infected.....So thats my story about the dry food..

Unread 04-19-2007   #10 (permalink)
OntarioGreys

Cripes I don't know what to say = (, have you seen the newest recall results that was released today ????? Dogs have died on another food, 3 days of checking and melamine has now been found in rice on that food, pretty this could even be worse since the majority of dry foods contain rice other than the grain free foods, http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0...food_recallThe Natural Balance food is packaged at the Diamonds food plant so there is chance a large number of dry food could be affectedtoday vets have identified 5 more foods but the names have not been release yet so hang on your seat more recalls are coming http://www.itchmo.com/

Tags
age , behavior , car , care , cat , cat food , dog , dogs , dry , dry food , eye , food , found , free , health , hey , internet , money , natural , pet , present , puppy , question , recalls , royal , sick , story , vet , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links