It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-19-2007   #1 (permalink)
noladkitty

Default is it ok to put garlic powder on my dogs/cats food?...?

some one said it will keep fleas off of them but i just read online that it is harmful for dogs. whats the deal, anyone know?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-19-2007   #2 (permalink)
dirt_princessb2437

it is ok it can help keep fleas and misquitos away.. just dont give to much and i would only give it once a day

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-19-2007   #3 (permalink)
♥ m e a g a n ♥

I don't see a problem with it, just not too much. That could be harmful....obviously. haha

Unread 04-19-2007   #4 (permalink)
p_wabbit

its fine, and works!I used it on my last dog.. he had horrible flea and food allergies.you can also use brewer's yeast and / or thiamine supplements to the same effect. I 've found that animals quite like the taste of brewer's yeast (more than garlic)EDITas others have mentioned - MODERATION is the key.. the amount of garlic needed to harm a cat or dog would make them physically ill (vomit / diahrrea) first!As I mentioned - you can always use Brewer's Yeast which is safe and sold in pet-sized specially formulated capsules (Brewer's Yeast is also helpful for arthritis and joint inflamation relief). Some pet companies actually sell a combined garlic - brewer's yeast supplement.

Unread 04-19-2007   #5 (permalink)
lmaryott4

garlic is toxic to cats.... please dont give it to them... i can't say about dogs... but it seems as though anything more than a very very very small amount would be.

Unread 04-19-2007   #6 (permalink)
Reanne

It is fine as long as you don't use too much. A little is actually good for them. As with many foods that are considered "bad" for dogs and cats, it's all about the amount in which they are given.

Unread 04-19-2007   #7 (permalink)
Juddles

A small amount is ok and will help repel insects. I give mine (weight 45-100 pounds) 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder each morning in their breakfast.I also just sprinkle a tiny bit in each of the cat's food.If you use wood chips in the dog house make sure you use cedar chips, this also repels fleas.

Tags
allergies , cat , cat's , cats , dog , dogs , fleas , food , found , hey , house , morning , pet , problem , small , vomit , weight

Sponsored Cat Links