It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-19-2007   #1 (permalink)
kimandchris2

Default Is Canned Tuna A Suitable Alternative To Canned Cat Food?

I wanted to ask this Q previously, but in light of the pet food recalls, i need to know more so now than ever!My 2 cats always have dry food, and I give them each a can of food in the evenings...my older cat is finnicky so I have been giving him canned tuna for awhile now..I was curious if this was a safe alternative to cat food...are there any long term repercussions to feeding them tuna? I haven't noticed any problems so far...and the price of a can of tuna is almost equal to a can of cat food!P.S. Cutting out the canned food is NOT an option! The pets are spoiled and have come to expect this! They even let me know if it gets too late in the evening and i haven't given it to them yet! LOLThank you for your time

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-20-2007   #2 (permalink)
camden

no it wont hurt him....as long as its canned in water and not oil.....its much safer than giving them canned cat food

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-20-2007   #3 (permalink)
madbaldscotsman

I always heard it caused depression in cats. Though I had done it a few times myself. He didn't seem depressed to me.

Unread 04-20-2007   #4 (permalink)
Cara M

I wouldn't feed the cats exclusively tuna, the food they eat is specially formulated for them to get the right nutrition. but since you're giving them dry food also, I don't see a problem. I am worried about the pet food recalls too!!

Unread 04-20-2007   #5 (permalink)
afibunny89

no its not very good, tuna has a lot of mercury and other stuff in it that is hard on a cats tummy. stick with the regular cat food, your cats need the very high amount of protein in it and they need the thighmin. as far as the pet food recall your local pet store knows about the bad food before you do so they pull it most everything at your local pet store is safe.

Tags
canned food , cat , cat food , cats , cut , depressed , dry , dry food , food , hey , hurt , nutrition , pet , pet food , problem , problems , recalls , water

Sponsored Cat Links