It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-20-2007   #1 (permalink)
april9rockstar

Default cat health?

hi, my cat, she's 18, she pulls out clumps of her fur. she's groomed, short hair, there's no reason for her to pull clumps of fur out. however, ive heard of pets doing that as a form of anxiety. could you suggest what would help her and stop her pulling her fur out? it woud save me £45 for a check up at the vet.also! i just thought, when she was younger she got hit by a car, we thought she'd have to have her leg amputated but were relieved and shocked when she was able to keep her leg on the condition that they put took the wire out of her trouble some leg. that was 12 years ago. do you think maybe she's in pain from it? like an old human with such operations?also, again, maybe youre thinking "she's a cat, they do that! and hairballs!"but no, really, LOTS of clumps of fur.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-20-2007   #2 (permalink)
insane_mad_maniak

could be fleas or a skin mite/ring worm. but this time of year cats are malting because of the heat, if there arnt any big patches of skin exposed it could just be down to that and her age! 18 thats like over a hundred in cat years! youd loose your hair at that age! lol

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-20-2007   #3 (permalink)
Emmie

It could be anxiety, but it's hard to say. She could have a skin problem though - my cat started pulling her fur out when she had a skin disease, because it was itching.I know it's a lot of money to go to the vet. Honestly though, I would do it. Put it on your credit card. It will be worth the peace of mind.xx Emmie

Unread 04-20-2007   #4 (permalink)
Byte

bless , she sounds uncomfortable.If its the cost call the RSPCA or the PDSA but please do something , she has given you 18yrs of love and companionship do the right thing.Good luck

Unread 04-20-2007   #5 (permalink)
michele_cat_cyprus

Your cat really needs to be seen by a vet as there could be any number of medical reasons that she has started pulling out clumps of fur. A vet can diagnose the problem and help your cat much better and faster than any of us answering your question.If money is a problem, then is there a local RSPCA, PDSA or Cat Protection League near where you live? They may be able to offer free treatment or help towards the costs. Your cat must be feeling very miserable right now, so please try to take her as soon as possible.It is true that in times of very severe stress that cats will over groom to the point of self-mutilation. However, this is rare in cats and even in those cases, animal behaviourists work in conjunction with the vet to try various sedatives and therapies to treat the problem. Have there been drastic changes in your home recently - enough to distress your cat to this level?Good luck, I hope she feels better very soon.

Tags
age , animal , anxiety , car , cat , cat health , cats , fleas , free , fur , groom , health , heat , hey , home , love , medical , money , problem , question , rare , save , stop , stress , uncomfortable , vet

Sponsored Cat Links