It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-24-2007   #1 (permalink)
yorkietash

Default Why won't our cat miaow/meow?

Hi,

Just registered & the site is great, hello to everyone

I was just wondering if anyone could help me.....

We got our cat Cassie as a kitten & thinking about it now she didn't really make much noise then, crying like kittens do etc but we never thought much of it to be honest. Then as she began to get older we noticed that though she opens her mouth as if she's going to miaow, no sound comes out. She purrs & also lets out a sort of squeak when excited or upset & once when she got under my mum's feet & she accidentally stepped on her tail, she made a very loud shriek, but she still doesn't miaow. She's 19 weeks old now, so surely she should be miaowing? We once knew someone who took in a feral kitten that was deaf & mute but because it was white & had one green/one blue eye we put that down to genetics/inbreeding. But Cassie is not deaf & like I say she does make other noises so she's not mute.

She's healthy, happy & very mischievous! so her not miaowing doesn't bother us as such, we were just curious. Also, we've started letting her out into the garden, introducing her to the "great outdoors" which she gets very excited about! but when we call her to come in, we can't hear her reply & she'll eventually come out from under a bush etc opening her mouth doing her silent miaow looking very confused as if to say: "I'm here, quit calling me already!"

Does anyone know what causes this? Is it just an inborn thing or will she eventually miaow? Is it worth seeing the vet about it? Like I say, we love her just the same & we certainly won't get woken up at 2am when she's brought us a little "present" (of the dead mouse variety) on the doormat!! I just wondered if anyone could shed any light on the matter.

Many thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content

Tags
breeding , cat , crying , eye , feral , great , happy , healthy , kitten , kittens , love , meow , mouse , present , upset , vet

Sponsored Cat Links