It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-24-2007   #1 (permalink)
Sailor courtney

Default Wet food gives my cat diareah, but she doesn't like dry food. what can i do?

I just rescued a wild cat 2 days ago and she's a complete darling, she acts as if she's been handled by humans her whole life. (which is obviously not true because she's extremely under weight and had ticks when I saved her) She's great, but the problem is she seems to only have a taste for either wet cat food, or human food. I don't want to be feeding her my food because I know it's not healthy for her and she probably picked that habit up scraping threw the garbage, but wet food gives her really bad diareah. Do you think mixing wet and dry food would work? any other idea's on foods that are healthy for her that won't give her diareah? thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-24-2007   #2 (permalink)
charlie_corral

You can mix the two but what I would do is only give her dry. She will eat it when she get hungry and she will get used to eatting. It is much better for her health, mainly her teeth. You can also pour some broth over the dry to flavor, till she gets used to it. Also, try dry kitten food, it is more appealing to cats and has more vitamins etc for a thin cat. Make sure she gets wormed.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-24-2007   #3 (permalink)
dragon0x0soul

I'd recommend taking her to the vet for suggestions. Besides, if she's got a history of ticks and was living on the streets, you'll want to have her checked out for a ton of things like Lime Disease, Leukemia, Rabies, etc. You'll want to get her vaccinations, and while you're there I'm sure the vet will have some decent suggestions.

Unread 04-24-2007   #4 (permalink)
eizus28

Mix boiled rice with the wet food. AVet told me this a long time ago.

Unread 04-24-2007   #5 (permalink)
shadedtint

The best thing to do is to always have dry food in her bowl so that she can eat if she gets hungry any time of the day. Don't give her wet food for a while and she will understand that the dry food is hers. Put a spoonful amount on top or mixed in to urge her into eating it if she still refuses to. This can actually be done everyday, but wet food is very fattening, so try to wean her off. If she refuses to eat it then mix equal portions. Make sure you have a vet to call if she suddenly stops eating. Also, minimal wet food means it will be a treat for her every time she gets it, so let it be something for her to look forward to!

Unread 04-24-2007   #6 (permalink)
Beck

Try giving the dry mixed with just the water from a can of tuna. Slowly use less and less of the tuna water until she is eating the dry plain.Good Luck

Unread 04-25-2007   #7 (permalink)
aGhost2u

I had the same problem with the stray I rescued. It will take time to adapt to decent food from eating scraps and garbage. First, have her checked for worms. My guy had them and if she was eating garbage and drinking from puddles and such then it's a probability she has them too.Use a top quality natural food. Some of the canned pet foods are as bad as eating garbage. Here is a great article on pet food. http://www.belfield.com/article3.htmlYou can get good food at Petco, your local feed store, your local pet store and at some of the larger retailers.You may need to put your girl on a GI supplement. http://www.onlynaturalpet.com has some I have used. You can also use edible clay to stop diarrhea in cats. Get it at your health food store or http://www.thepetalternative.com It is safe for cats and works for people too.P.S. Thanks for rescuing a cat in need!

Unread 04-25-2007   #8 (permalink)
mahjabeen_haque

give it dry food, but place a bowl of milk next to it. My cat was just like yours and this is what i did. Try it!

Tags
cat , cat food , cat in need , cats , diarrhea , dry , dry food , eating , food , girl , great , health , healthy , kitten , kitten food , natural , pet , problem , rabies , stop , stray , suggestions , vet , water , weight , wet food , wild

Sponsored Cat Links