It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-26-2007   #1 (permalink)
harisonfjord

Default How do I get my cat off dry food and on to raw food?

My cat has chronic UTI problems and I think it is because of the dry Iams food she is addicted to. Sometomes she will eat a little canned Iams but not often enough to make her well. I hoe I can reverse her condition by changing her diet. I want to get her off the Iams completely and on to a raw food diet. How do I do this? How can I get her to eat the raw food? Where and what raw food should I get and how should she be fed? how often and how much? Should I give her other foods in addition to the raw meat?Female cat, 8 years old. Medium sized.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-26-2007   #2 (permalink)
neaux-neaux

She probably wont eat very much of the canned stuff because you feed her other things :] I personally feed my cats dry food because of all the problems going on with the pet food, so I replaced the wet food with dry.You can try mixing the it together at first and then just completely replacing it with what you're wanting her to eat. Your cat wont starve, if she's hungry she will eat it :]

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-26-2007   #3 (permalink)
Renee O

I work in a pet shop and have this problem all the time with my customers, cats are very fussy and unfortunately we can't change that. If you're going to put her on to raw food, make sure you research it fully. You have to make sure you have all the nutrients and minerals/vitamins the cat needs and in the right amounts, while also making sure that there isn't too much fat or anything else bad like that. If you are set on feeding it raw food talk to the vet and they can give you an eating plan. With foods like Iams they are researched and contain all that a cat needs to stay healthy and strong, as well as looking after things such as teeth, coat, protein and things that a cat specifically needs. Iams is what we call a semi premium food as it is a step up from supermarket foods, which are full of cereal and not much else but still not as good as premium foods. I would suggest for a cat like yours a specially formulated food made by someone like Royal Canin. They have a food for almost any cat from the very very fussy to the sensitive stomach to skin conditions and even some breed specifics. i know that they also have one for cats prone to UTI. I have never had any problems with someone that i have referred to Royal Canin and most people are happy with it. If you want to wean the cat onto anything else, mix small amounts in with the Iams, and gradually add more and more. Feed only small portions and as much as she can eat in a few minutes. If you put as much as she wants out she will eat when she's hungry and not when you want her to. If you only have set feeding times she will have to eat what you give herHope this helps and hope you can find something to suit your cat.any further questions email me on rezababe01@hotmail.com

Unread 04-27-2007   #4 (permalink)
tatagurl

well you don't need to put her on (raw food) because it stinks and most cats prefer dry cat food!

Tags
addition , breed , cat , cat food , cat needs , cats , diet , dry , dry food , eating , female , food , fur , happy , healthy , hey , pet , pet food , problem , problems , raw , royal , small , uti , vet , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links