It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-27-2007   #1 (permalink)
Rusty

Default Is Nutro Max Cat Gourmet Classics Dry Food OK?

I recently purchased Nutro Max Gourmet Classic dry food and within 2 days my cat is sneezing and has a watery eye. He is still eating and acting ok.. but it is almost like there is something in it he is allergic to. He is 3 years old and has had his shots! So I find it hard to believe it is Leukemia or upper resp. Has anyone else had this problem?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-27-2007   #2 (permalink)
mitch1318

No do not feed anything but human food !!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-27-2007   #3 (permalink)
samasthecool

What did you feed him before? Sometimes cats have reactions when you change the food. If you are going to change the food the best thing to do is to mix the old with the new. Start with 75% old stuff, the 50% and so on until it is all new food. The Nutro dry food is not part of the recall, go to http://www.nutroproducts.com/mfrecall.aspOr your cat could just have a cold

Unread 04-27-2007   #4 (permalink)
DogDoc

I've not seen any of the Nutro Dry foods among the recalled foods. (some of their moist products have been recalled) Furthermore, these are not the symptoms typically seen in the current pet food bruhaha.Allergic responses to food most often show up in either the GI tract(usually diarrhea, but sometimes vomiting) or the skin (itching, hair loss, red spots or small crusts)The symptoms you describe sounds like a typical upper respiratory infection. Even though he doesn't go outside, one of the main viruses in cat URI's goes dormant and can pop back up at any time. You may not have even had your cat when he was infected as this often happens when they are very young.So long as the symptoms remain mild, keep an eye on him and let them run their course (usually purely viral). If he starts feeling bad, or if the discharge from his eyes or nose turns thick and yellow or green-ish (secondary bacterial infection), he should be taken to your vet and put on antibiotics.

Unread 04-27-2007   #5 (permalink)
Susan C

I agree with Samasthecool with regard to introducing new cat food to your cat. It does need to be done slowly and carefully. Her description was right on. And I have no problem with Nutro. In fact, my cat eats Nutro's Max Cat Gourmet Classics dry Lite and is quite healthy.Given his sneezing and watery eye, however, you might want to run this by the vet. How recent were his shots? The shots themselves can cause reactions. And this is the beginning of flea season, which can also cause allergies. A quick visit to the vet might be helpful, but I would not worry about FeLuke.Best wishes for you and your cat kid!

Tags
allergic , allergies , antibiotics , art , cat , cat food , cats , classic , cold , diarrhea , dry , dry food , eating , eye , eyes , food , fur , hair loss , healthy , hey , infection , loss , new cat , nose , pet , pet food , problem , small , upper respiratory , vet , vomiting , watery , worry

Sponsored Cat Links