It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-28-2007   #1 (permalink)
atokendez

Default This pet food recall is scary. Any ideas on how I can make my own cat food?

This pet food recall is scary. Any ideas on how I can make my own cat food?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-28-2007   #2 (permalink)
Kandice F

Buy your cat canned sardines. I would say canned tuna, but there's a recall on it too for mercury levels.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-28-2007   #3 (permalink)
Benji H

a cat will eat anything a human'd eat; real cats especially like value tins of tuna and as much quiche as they can steal from the fridge.

Unread 04-28-2007   #4 (permalink)
Cool Guy

fish mixed together (tuna is prefered) and add a little salt. then cut into tiny pieces and... o yeah make it raw. kinda like sushi type thiny.

Unread 04-28-2007   #5 (permalink)
allie0311

do you have any health food stores around you? Where i live, there a bunch of them, and they actually sell a frozen mean mixture that is organic cat food. you just thaw it out and give it to them raw, the friggen love it. check if you have any health food stores like that. also, you can actually give cats raw mean and they love it. my cats also love to eat eggs. i got a great book about homeopathic remedies for cats and they have a whole chapter about giving them a natural diet.

Unread 04-28-2007   #6 (permalink)
Sh3lly ~

I was thinking about making my own pet food as well. I was and still am feeding my cat Wiskas®. I contacted them directly and asked if the recall has effected them at all and I was told NO! I started to attempt to make my own though. I have taken chicken breast, olive oil, garlic, carrots, some water, peas, and blend that in a blender or food processor until creamy. Don't blend the chicken breast though. After it is blended it will be slightly runny, then cook the chicken breast in the oven on a cookie sheet, cut it into small bite size pieces and add this to the puree mixture. Put this in a plastic container in the refrigerator and feed as needed. It will last 2 weeks. You can do this same process for dogs, instead use beef.

Unread 04-29-2007   #7 (permalink)
Priscilla N

Yes you canwhat you can do is go to google and search for cats food recipe and It teaches you how to make cat food .

Unread 04-29-2007   #8 (permalink)
Gerry G

Cat Stew:Chop up the cat and some potato, onions and carrots and bring to the boil. Simmer for 30 mins. Should keep you going until the food scare is over.

Unread 04-29-2007   #9 (permalink)
VORKEV

Buy it nothing but caned salmon or tuna fish. It is acutely better for it then the food for cats. I have a friend who is a vet and that is all she gives her cats. And as for its water she gives it a bowl of water with 1 table spoon of whole milk mixed in. You can also go to a organic food store and tell them you need cat food they should have cat food that will not be threatening.

Unread 04-29-2007   #10 (permalink)
tyrannika

If you really want to be hands on on preventing any food poisoning, i'd suggest a raw meat/bones diet for your kitty.Alot of people (myself included) have moved over to a raw meat/bones diet and have alot of success. I own 2 ferrets that moved from 'ferret pellet' to Raw and I've seen alot of changes.Fur is cleaner, less smelly and alot softer. Activity and happyness seems to have rocketed up. Teeth and gums are clean and no nasty food breath. There is less poop, less smelly, and less messy to clean up.If you are still interested in trying a raw diet for kitty, there are quite a few pages up.http://rawlearning.com/ Is a great place to start. They have many links for resources.Your typical raw diet will include chicken, beef, bones, turkey. It is advised to stay away from 'pre packaged' organic/premade raw food (or "BARF", acronym for bones and raw food")I hope this helps! There is alot of promise in raw food. Your pets digestive system handles bacteria in raw food, so beyond you washing your hands/pets dish, there is no worry of contamination.

Tags
art , baby , bite , book , brown , cat , cat food , cats , cut , diarrhea , diet , dogs , dry , dry food , family , fast , fish , fixed , food , found , fur , great , happy , health , hey , home , homeopathic , kitty , links , love , natural , nice , pet , pet food , poop , raw , recalls , scared , scary , search , small , stop , transition , turkey , type , vet , vomiting , water , wet food , worry

Sponsored Cat Links