It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-29-2007   #1 (permalink)
mrb

Default When your cat walks away from his bowl of wet cat food after having eaten..?

do you remove access to the dish with the canned food or leave it ?. I am concerned about leaving the canned food down so long that it starts decaying and spoiling and maybe this is not good for the cats.I feed my 3 cats at about 8 am every morning. I feed them about a quaerter can of Friskies at this feeding, after they eat and walk away usually there is some food left. Should I pick that leftover food up right away and dispose of it? leaving it all day seems like they would be eating spoileing food. I do leave down dry food for "at will " eating all day (indoor weight management Nutro) so its not like they won't have food all day til the evening (around 5-6 pm feeding.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-29-2007   #2 (permalink)
Kella G

I dispose of any remaining "wet" food and just leave the dry for them - always have. I don't know that it would hurt them, but like you, I just don't like the thought of it being there all day.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-29-2007   #3 (permalink)
orangeflowerchild

I normally leave the wet food out for about 3 hours. I dont think it decays and all of that within 3 hours.

Unread 04-29-2007   #4 (permalink)
sharon w

Believe it or not, this is a "normal" cat behavior acquired from their BIG ancestors. Most cats (except mine) will not clear out a dish of food completely at one time. They always leave a little bit for next time (back to the "hunting instincts" of their ancestors). If the food does spoil, believe me, they will NOT eat it. Just leave it there. It will be OK while you're at work. If it is still there when you get home, then dump it. My cat is a little different, he was raised with dogs, likes dogs, and eats like a dog, he'll clear out the whole plate in one shot, if he wants to---but, this is NOT normal. Don't worry, cats will NOT eat anything that is spoiled. Hope this eases your thoughts a bit.

Tags
behavior , canned food , cat , cat behavior , cat food , cats , dogs , dry , dry food , eating , food , hey , home , hurt , indoor , morning , thoughts , weight , wet food , worry

Sponsored Cat Links