It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-30-2007   #1 (permalink)
bb45

Default Can I keep dry food out all the time for my new 10 month old cat or should I

portion meals for him? I have heard different schools of thought: Leave the food out all the time since he will graze all day and night. I have also heard doing this and not measuring the food will only make a fat cat and if he is able to eat all he wants, he won't know when he's had enough.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-30-2007   #2 (permalink)
luckyme

Leave the food out! As long as no other animals are around, keep the dry food out 24/7. Cats know when they're hungry and when they're full. Smart animals!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-30-2007   #3 (permalink)
PetRescuer

At the animal rescue and at my own home as well, we "free-feed" which means leaving food out at all times so the animal can eat whenever hungry. Some cats, although, cannot portion themselves and will become fat. I say try free-feeding him, but if he seems to be gaining too much weight, you can shift to a feeding schedule. When I did have my cats on a feeding schedule, I gave them a cup in the morning. If it was completely empty the next morning, I increased it to a cup and a half. But usually, for most cats, a cup of cat food a day will suffice. You can also judge if you think he's still getting too heavy, decrease it from a cup to 3/4.

Unread 04-30-2007   #4 (permalink)
Cheeks

I have two cats, and I spread out their meals 3 times a day, just so I can make sure that they're both getting what they need equally. I have one cat who does need her meals spread out, or she will eat everything in her bowl and want more later. It depends on your cat, but I have found that spreading out meals usually results in leaner cats.

Unread 04-30-2007   #5 (permalink)
msmegan06

Yes, I would leave the food out all day. Its not like your cats just going to sit and eat all day, and I dont think you are going to leave out a 10lb bag of food. Your cat should be ok. just leave some water out too

Tags
animal , cat , cat food , cats , dry , dry food , food , found , free , hey , home , morning , night , rescue , smart , water , weight

Sponsored Cat Links