It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Health & Nutrition
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-01-2007   #1 (permalink)
blondieluvvv

Default I just found out i have been feeding my cat re-called food... 3 weeks after the

recall! Can anyone give meinfo I looked on the cat food recall list when it first came out, and could have sworn that the UPC code did not match my cats food, but after the 2nd recall i decided to give it another glance. It turns out that my cats wet food pouches (Nutro natural adult complete care) are all on the contaminated list!! I feel so guilty and worried, as it has been 3 WEEKS he has been eating this food! I am going to call the vet tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone knows signs to look for other than lethargy and vomiting. He has exhibited no unusual behaviors yet, but i am frantic! Any advice?? Does anyone know how many cats have been affected so far? I can't find any recent estimates in my internet searches...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-01-2007   #2 (permalink)
adrianamay69

You will have to bring your cat to the vet and have a urine test done for kidney failure. Sometimes cats will display signs and sometimes they won't, it all depends on the amount of the bad stuff it ingested. But common signs are vomiting, lethargy, and refusal to eat. From what I've heard there have been a few dozen dogs and cats whom have passed away from this epidemic, and they will most likely get little compensation for it too. But I wouldn't stress over it too much. The best thing to do is visit your vet and pray for the best. Don't feel guilty either, it's not your fault. Sometimes people try to get more money by using not so good products. Good Lucky with your kitty! My prayers are with you!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-01-2007   #3 (permalink)
Maggie B

O H! Dear, I'm so sorry to hear this. This is definitely turned out to be awful. I don't know how many have been affected but I know of three just in my small town on Vancouver Island BC---all from the Hill's precription feline. Some other symptoms I have heard of are yes, lethargy, and vomiting, diahhrea, also usual thrist, or no thrist, clumsy,short laboured breath, dizziness, pain, not wanting to be held or snuggled (if thats unusual for them). The problem is that it is affecting their kidneys (causing major damage and is fatal-kidney failure) so perhaps a internet search for kidney failure/damage symptoms may tell you more. And of course. like you are doing, get to the vet with your concerns. I am under the understanding that most of the really ill and dying cats and dogs are very young, very old or otherwise compromised in some way. We have a EXCELLENT Holistic Pet Food Store in town, and the woman there has been totally researching this from the beginning. We were there today, and she agreed with my thinking, as we have several very old cats and dogs and one cat who has Herpes, we can't afford to even give them a spoon full just in case. Now, if kitty is fine, switch his food immediately, and I would suggest giving her probiotic yogurt for his tummy for digestion (it can hurt) and make sure that the next food you buy is grain-free, thats the easiest way to avoid this bologna of bad wheat etc. Grain-free is excellent for them, you may pay more BUT like my son said how can you put a price on their innocent lives. GO!, Innova, Evo, Orijen, all make excellent food choices, and it's filling, and they don't need all the grains they are more like fillers half the time. Try not to feel guilty, its not your fault, you thought you were doing good by your cat, and you still are, but looking into it and getting him to the vet etc. My thoughts are with both of you BEST of luck, boy, do I hope he is fine.P.S.(don't forget to take back the yucky stuff and get your money back!!)

Unread 05-02-2007   #4 (permalink)
jewls_1_3

Here is a website with more info on the kidney failure that the contaminated food is causing:http://www.petplace.com/cats/acute-r...s/page1.aspxAs you'll see, you should look for the followingisorientationIn-coordinationDecreased urine productionStraining to urinateLoss of appetiteLethargyVomitingWeaknessChanges in water consumption and urinationYour cat may not show any signs, so to be sure (and to put your mind at ease), I would take him to the vet immediately. If he is sick, then there's a better chance that the vet can save him if you take action as soon as possible. Good luck! Oh, and they're saying that 15 known cases exist, but a LOT more are speculated, and cats are more prone to get sick than dogs.

Tags
adult , advice , boy , care , cat , cat food , cats , dogs , dying , eating , food , found , free , hey , hurt , internet , kitty , lucky , money , natural , orijen , pet , pet food , prayers , problem , save , search , sick , small , stress , test , thoughts , urine , vet , vomiting , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links