It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-02-2007   #1 (permalink)
whiteboyy0

Default canned cat food for feline diabetes?

what should I feed my cat if he has diabetes

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-10-2009   #2 (permalink)
craftyjac

Hi

Our cat has recently been diagnosed, so we are still getting used to a routine with him. Our vet advised Hills Feline MD which is a prescription diet for cats with diabetes. I don't know if your vet will carry it, but it might be worth askig them if they can recomend anything.

Are you having to inject insulin? Im having real problems with this. My cat is fine, and hasn't missed a dose, but I get so stressed about doing it!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-10-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyy0 View Post
what should I feed my cat if he has diabetes
hello and welcome. YOur vet can advise you as to the best diet for your diabetic cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyjac View Post
Hi

Our cat has recently been diagnosed, so we are still getting used to a routine with him. Our vet advised Hills Feline MD which is a prescription diet for cats with diabetes. I don't know if your vet will carry it, but it might be worth askig them if they can recomend anything.

Are you having to inject insulin? Im having real problems with this. My cat is fine, and hasn't missed a dose, but I get so stressed about doing it!!

Hill's prescriptions foods are excellent. Don't be so hard on yourself, as this is all new for you.

the administration of injections will get easier as time goes by and after a while it will be just part of your daily routine.

here is an excellent link for both of you

Feline Diabetes —Diabetes in Cats — Treatment and Diabetic Cat Info — FDMB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 02-11-2009   #4 (permalink)
craftyjac

Thanks for the link.

I forgot to say that they also do the Hills M/D in canned format too, but my cat won't eat it, so we give him (with the vet's OK) half Hills M/D dry food and 2 tins of normal cat food per day. He is very fussy so we have to monitor this closely.

My problem with the injections is that I'm terrified of doing him harm . I have been administering the jab for 3 weeks now, without any misshaps, but my hands still shake so much the minute I take out the insulin!! Some days are better than others.

We think he became diabetic after a dose of pancreatitis (As he was perfectly healthy and not overweight before hand) and my vet says that some cats go into remission and stop needing the insulin. I'm hoping mine will be one of them!!

Unread 02-11-2009   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

Lyka_01 is on a distinguished road

If your cat as diabetes...
Follow the vet advise...
In that way you can be sure...
That you're feeding your cat the right food...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||

"If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
Unread 02-11-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Yes, only the vet's prescription.

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 02-11-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyjac View Post
Thanks for the link.

I forgot to say that they also do the Hills M/D in canned format too, but my cat won't eat it, so we give him (with the vet's OK) half Hills M/D dry food and 2 tins of normal cat food per day. He is very fussy so we have to monitor this closely.

My problem with the injections is that I'm terrified of doing him harm . I have been administering the jab for 3 weeks now, without any misshaps, but my hands still shake so much the minute I take out the insulin!! Some days are better than others.

We think he became diabetic after a dose of pancreatitis (As he was perfectly healthy and not overweight before hand) and my vet says that some cats go into remission and stop needing the insulin. I'm hoping mine will be one of them!!
Subq injections (under the skin) are very safe, you won't hurt him. I'm assuming it's a tiny needle (would say on the cap, probably a #25)

I give my tiny little senior lady Ootay sub q vitamin shots. If she sees the syringes, she struggles a bit (I think she thinks I'm going to take blood, like they do at the vet, she's had blood taken so many times) but when I take extra care to not let her see the syringes she doens't even notice.

3 weeks is not a long time to get used to doing something. It will take a while longer for you to feel more confident, but it will come, I promise. When I first started giving fluids at home for Ootay (she gets sub q four times a week) I was a basket case every fluid day. Stressed and worried about it all day long, and when I got home and knew it had to be done my anxiety would get so high, my goodness.

but after about ..oh I don't know, maybe 6 months I began to relax more and now, almost 3 years later it's just part of the routine.
Unread 02-11-2009   #8 (permalink)
craftyjac

My goodness. 6 months? I don't know if I can cope for that long!! What makes it worse is that my husband can do them without a problem (although I've had Mr T for a lot longer then I've had my husband so maybe I'm more emotionally attached?)....I'm always the one who has to administer the drugs etc. whenever the cats are ill and I've never really had a problem before...yet this has me stumped! I feel slightly better knowing that someone else has been through similar reactions, but I really need to pull myself together for both our sakes!

Unread 02-11-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

yeah, I think it was about that long, I just remember one day thinking, hey I didn't get all freaked out today over this! Ootay's subq is four times a week, and of course a much larger needle, and takes about 7 minutes, give or take, depending on the speed of the drip.

Her Vitamin B shots are a tiny needle, but since she gets the subq in her back of neck shoulder area (where the loosest fur is, and probably where you are giving the insulin shots) I have to give the B shots in her haunch. Once I think I hit a muscle because she yelled.

Think of it this way, six months is a very short time, considering how much longer you are going to have your beloved kitty, because you are willing to do these treatments. It WILL get easier.

The injection is quick, right? Do you do it while she's sleeping? just slip up behind her, make a little tent, poke and plunge, done!

just take one day at a time. If you're like I was, you work yourself into a frazzle before doing the shot which is no good for either of you. Maybe try doing it a different time of day. First thing in the morning? then it's not hanging over you all day.

Just curious, if it's so much easier for your husband, why he isn't willing to take over just this one particular aspect of pet care?
Unread 02-11-2009   #10 (permalink)
craftyjac

He is, and he does do when he is here, but he has to go abroad for work a couple of times per week etc, so we can't rely on him always being here. Besides I think we both need to do it just incase one of us is sick etc. We currenly do it in the morning, but because you have to do it at the same time each day, we have picked 9.15 am (ish) as we are generally around then. Trouble is Tues-Thurs I am up at 6.30am so I have several hours to sit and think about it.

Mr T is actually very calm about the jabs. He just lies there purring away thinking he's getting a cuddle, but the last few times he has jumped as I've depressed the plunger. I'm not doing it any differently than I have before, but this makes me think I'm hurting him. He's fine a second later, but it really knocks my confidence. I'm just so scared of hittng muscle or something, and doing him real harm. I've successfully given him his jab each time so my husband thinks I'm being too hard on myself, but I think I just need to stop being such a whimp and pull myself together!!

Tags
anxiety , calm , care , cat , cat food , cats , depressed , diabetes , diabetic , diet , dry , dry food , food , fur , healthy , hey , home , hurt , insulin , kitty , morning , overweight , pet , problem , problems , scared , senior , sick , sleeping , stop , stress , vet , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links