It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-03-2007   #1 (permalink)
krussell77@ameritech.net

Default Recommendation for non-cruelty pet foods for cats and dog?

I have a 7-year-old black lab who tends to put on weight easily and has a very sensitive stomach. Right now he is on HIll's Science Diet Light Large breed dog food, which I want to get him off of but am having a hard time finding an alternative brand that will still be a "light" formula and easy on his stomach.I also have 3 indoor cats who are 2 1/2, they are currently on IAMS Multi-Cat formula. 1 is slightly overweight, 1 is average, and another is very tiny, not necessarily underwent but almost.Looking for an indoor cat food that would meet the needs of all 3. I am not sure if even one exists but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-03-2007   #2 (permalink)
Casey B

I believe that Purina has some really good choices out on the market. You should also couple their feedings with some good ol' exercise. You should be able to feel their ribs, but not see them. You can also call your vet and see what they recommend. Mine always recommends Purina.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-03-2007   #3 (permalink)
reptileden0

I use Diamond. They have great testing standards. Plus the dog loves it, and at lasts a bit longer due to high digestability. I feed the lamb and rice. It does great with all my puppies too.

Unread 05-03-2007   #4 (permalink)
Miss Pimpette

The non-cruelty pet foods are the healthy, natural, holistic ones!Let me give a list of the cruelty pet foods first:HillsPurinaIamsOl' RoyProplanONEScience DietRoyal CaninThese are all unhealthy pet foods because they include:By-products-part of meat that we don't want to eatUnspecified meat sources-such as Poultry Meal, Meat and Bone meal. these could range from dead and decaying chicken to euthanized dogs and cats!!Wheat-very allergic to most pets after a whileCorn-just a filler, non-digestible, ends up in poop therefore increasing the size of wasteSoy-allergic to most pets after a whileArtificial Coloring-chemical dyes that may cause tear stains and may cause cancerArtificial Preservatives-Chemical preservatives that has been known to cause cancer, such as BHA, BHT, and Ethoxyquin. Ethoxyquin has been banned from human food for such reasonsLet me give you the healthy and natural foods that are non-cruelty:Natural BalanceInnovaCalifornia Natural CanidaeFelidaeArtemisKarmaEvoNature's VarietyOrijenTimberwolfThese are all healthy foods because they have whole, clean meat that even would be edible to us! They also include whole, non-dehydrated vegetables, and natural preservatives such as Vitamin E! There's no soy, wheat, corn, artificial preservatives, artificial coloring, byproducts, or unspecified meat sources in it! However, none of these could be found in Petsmart or Petco, EXCEPT for Natural Balance which is found only in Petco. The rest may be found in small pet specialty stores. If you feed these natural, holistic foods the right way and as directed by the guidelines, and with the right exercise, your cats may soon be the ideal weight! I would suggest to feed each of them seperately and by meals, not free feeding (letting out a bowl full of food for the whole day). Your dog could be having a sensitive stomach because of all the waste Science Diet puts in the food! If you switch his food to the ones that I have listed, his sensitive stomach will tolerate AND welcome the foods, because they have all ingredients even good enough for us humans to eat!When you switch the food, do so gradually. Mix in 1/8 of the new food and take out 1/8 of the old food. Next day, mix in 1/4 of the new food and take out 1/4 of the old food. Day after that, mix in 3/8 of the new food and take out 3/8 of old food. Keep on doing this until you are only feeding him the new food.All of the foods that I have listed are non-cruelty. They aren't on the menu recalls either! They don't spend the money on advertising on television or in magazines, they spend the money on the QUALITY of the food!! Well, good luck! =]

Tags
allergic , black , breed , cat food , cats , clean , diet , dog , dogs , food , found , free , great , healthy , hey , indoor , money , natural , overweight , pet , petsmart , poop , recalls , royal , small , smart , stains , television , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links