It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-04-2007   #1 (permalink)
BarbieD

Default cat eats dog food?

I have a cat and a small breed dog. I put the cat's food up high so the dog won't eat it all. But I can't keep the dog food so the cat can't get it. She eats her food, but once in a while I find her eating the dogs food also, I can't stop her. Is this really bad for her? And if it is what can I do???

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-04-2007   #2 (permalink)
hummer1013

Cats don't often get sick from eating dog food, unless they have a food allergy. As long as she eats her cat food she'll be fine. Do not let her eat dog food exclusively, it does not have correct amino acid and protein content for cats.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-04-2007   #3 (permalink)
Amy D

I have the same problem only I have 6 cats and 1 dog. One of the 6 cats loves to eat the dog food (pretty much he will eat anything lol) But he has been doing this for a year now and it has not hurt him at all so Im sure its ok. As long as he is still eating his cat food the most so he can get the nutritoun that cats need then he should be all good. I work for a vet and she says its ok we sometimes feed our cats at the clinic dog food if thats all they will eat its better then eat something then nothing at all.

Unread 05-04-2007   #4 (permalink)
jdzmumbles

You could maybe feed them at separate times. When the cat is feeding put its food up high so the dog cannot get it. When the dog is feeding put the cat in a room with a closed door until after he is done. Animals are oppurtunistic and will eat almost whatever food they can find. I'd imagine it would not be that bad for her but I wouldn't say healthy.

Unread 05-05-2007   #5 (permalink)
Chelsea

my mom has 2 cats and a pomeranian and all 3 of them eat each other's food. i don't think it's bad for them, because if they were wild animals they'd be eating similar diets anyway. the only thing i found was that the dog food made the cats gain a little bit of weight, but not much.

Unread 05-05-2007   #6 (permalink)
cindy r

My cats always get in to the dog food too, I don't think it is bad for them, i mean like it is going to kill them or anything, the worst it could do is give them diarria.But what you could do is start feeding the dog outside at certain times so, the cat won't get to it and the dog, if he is a bit on the chubby side, will losee some of those excess pounds.Hope that this helps you out!

Unread 05-05-2007   #7 (permalink)
nasusnna20032000

My cat does the same thing. As long as your cat is still eating cat food it is ok. Dog food doesn't have the same nutritonal values as cat food so don't let your cat do it all the time. I would suggest as soon as your dog is done eating put the dog food up where your cat can't get it. Maybe in a cupboard or something.

Tags
allergy , art , breed , cat , cat food , cat's , cats , dog , dogs , eating , food , found , healthy , hey , hurt , problem , sick , small , stop , vet , weight , wild , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links