It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-05-2007   #1 (permalink)
alabama slamma

Default Is there cat food that has the qualities of high end food at a cheaper cost?

I took my cat to the vet the other day because she seemed sick. It turned out she has some sort of infection of the urniary tract possibly due to crystals forming in her urine. Since this happened to her, she won't be able to eat regular food anymore (Friskies, Meow Mix etc.) because those types of foods caused the crystals to form.For the next couple of weeks I have to feed her some perscription food to help break up the crystal formations. Then after that, the vet told me that I have to buy this certain cat food to prevent this from happening again and it's $20 bucks a 4 lb. bag!I don't mind paying for more expensive food, but I was hoping if anyone had any information on places where you can buy special diet type foods for less than what you would pay at the vet. Also, if anyone knew of a comparable food to buy in place of the expensive stuff that would be just as effective. Thanks for the help.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-05-2007   #2 (permalink)
senatorflexijerkoff

We're in the same situation you are.Ask your vet about promotions, buy 4 get one free, etc, 20% off if you buy two,etc. . It know, it's tough to lay out that kind of$$$, but it's a decision you make with your heart not with your head.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-05-2007   #3 (permalink)
jdecorse25

We had this happen with our dog. Find out what's in the food that the cat can't have. My dog couldn't digest protein. Then you have to look at the ingredients on the bags to find out which one is either missing that ingredient or has the least, then cut the cat food with human food. What we did is find the brand that had the least amount of crude protein in it, then he would get one scope of dry dog food, then a cup of white rice with either cheese or chicken buillion in it for flavor. he really liked the cheese. Cats are a little bit more particular though. I hope this helps!!!

Unread 05-05-2007   #4 (permalink)
Alicia G

You need to pay the extra money. Science Diet is probably the prescription she will be on if not ask your vet if it would be any cheaper going through them. Never switch her diet without consulting your Vet first. She needs to be on this diet in order to keep control over your cats crystals she needs to be on that specific diet for the rest of her life in order to keep her from getting sick. Crystals are formed by what is in their food and if they are calcium oxalate crystals they can be sooo severe that they will need surgery to remove them. They cause large crystals that have spiked edges and are very painful for the animal. Trust me switching food without your vets consent will only cause pain for the animal and $$$$$ for surgery to remove huge crystals that can form. Hydrating the animal is always a good thing but in this case it's really about the diet.Vet tech studentAlicia

Tags
animal , cat , cat food , cats , cut , diet , dog , dry , food , free , hey , infection , meow , missing , money , sick , surgery , urine , vet

Sponsored Cat Links