It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-07-2007   #1 (permalink)
FouLed

Default Can my cat eat the same foods all his life?

A vet told me to stick to the kibbles my cat normally eat. He told me it's ok.Can I add other food to my cat's diet? He 9 months male persian.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-07-2007   #2 (permalink)
Paras

Do you?.definitely try to give him some different types, or tastes of food. Rotate between solid and canned..

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-07-2007   #3 (permalink)
Kikyo

thats not very healthy to eat the same food for a really long time. You should go with Purina. They have all kinda of foods for indoor and outdoor cats and in so many flavors too. Its extremely healthy for your cat and your cat will never be bored of having the same flavor. I've been feeding my cat Purina for 4 years and I've had no problems at all.

Unread 05-07-2007   #4 (permalink)
Muso_Gal

If you mean the same brand and same flavour everyday then it's not such a good idea. They will get sick of the food and stop eating it, and therefore start hunting mice, birds, lizards and other tiny things.Try giving him a variety of biscuits and jelly meat, with different flavours everyday...that way you're cat will always want to know whats for dinner and will enjoy it. But remember to buy kitten food.

Unread 05-07-2007   #5 (permalink)
Forbidden_

You should stick with the same cat food and if you change it introduce it very gradually into his diet. Changing it too dramatically can upset the lining of his stomach and unless he seems to really hate his food then there's no reason to change it.Also, you should never feed cats human food because there is a different mix of protein which cats find hard to digest.I don't take any notice of this stuff and just feed my cats whatever they want - I'm their slave you see =) But those are the "rules". In my opinion, made to be broken, or at least tampered with....

Unread 05-07-2007   #6 (permalink)
toadhopgreen

Please don't feed your cat table scraps per the advice of someone below, remember a cat is a carnivore who would naturally eat small mice and birds complete with fur, bones, organs etc, not really fish. Small amounts of vegetable/ grain might be eaten as the stomach contents of the prey. The biscuits (or the more expensive types) are made to contain the same nutrients so they are better than the cans/ biscuits from supermarkets. So even if you fed them cooked meat you would not be supplying the same nutrients as the raw mouse. Therefore, the biscuits probably are the best compromise. you can give the occasional trea, but sudden changes can cause diarrhoea which is a nightmare with a persians hair.

Unread 05-07-2007   #7 (permalink)
3cats

I have 3 cats and always rotate their food. I don't want them to get used to just one brand plus I'm sure they appreciate the variety. I see that some people above have recommended Purina, cat treats etc. I would stay away from both. Just read the ingredients on their packages and make up your own mind. Most of these foods contain corn, rice, by products, corn or wheat gluten and a bunch of other ingredients that are not good for the animals. Manufacturers use them because they are cheap ingredients. Below is a list of the foods that I buy for my cats. I always rotate them so that they don't get too used to one particular brand. Also, you won't find these at the supermarket or Petco, Petsmart, etc. You'll have to do some research to find a store near you that carries them. Also always check the expiration date on the package and get samples before buying a large bag or several cans of a particular brand. You cat may like or hate some of them so get small quantities or samples first. California NaturalSolid GoldFelidaeChicken Soup for the Cat Lover's soulNatural Balance Ultra Premium cat foodWysongEvolveDr. Foster and Smith Chicken FormulaMerrickStay away from any Purina cat foods, Iams, Eukanuba, Hill’s Science Diet, Whiskas, etc.

Tags
advice , art , birds , california , car , cat , cat food , cat's , cats , diet , eating , fish , food , foster , fur , healthy , hey , indoor , joy , kitten , kitten food , male , mouse , opinion , outdoor , persian , petsmart , problems , raw , sick , small , smart , stop , upset , vet

Sponsored Cat Links