It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-08-2007   #1 (permalink)
melty c

Default what happens if you feed adult cat iams kitten food?

my friend is feeding her cat thats already fully grown ragdoll iams kitten food is this ok?what bad things could be expected to happen such as illness or malnutrition

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-08-2007   #2 (permalink)
Carole *

I had fed my grown cat iams kitten food, granted only for 2 weeks, as I bought the wrong bag by mistake. I never noticed any adverse changes in him or his behavior.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-08-2007   #3 (permalink)
♫I_Love_Zach_Braff!!♫

the worst possible thing that i wuld think could happen is malnutrition. pet foods have ages on them because they are designed for the specific nutritional needs of that age group. Ask the vet just in case, to see if there is maybe something in kitten food that adult cats cant handle or something, but it shouldn't be too bad. I would suggest feeding it adult fod, though.

Unread 05-08-2007   #4 (permalink)
Lana B

Just like human babies the kittens require more fat in their diet. All that will happen is the cat will get fatter!!!!!

Unread 05-08-2007   #5 (permalink)
Buffy F

The main thing is that the cat is probably going to put on weight; both puppy and kitten food have substantially more calories than their adult counterparts.

Unread 05-08-2007   #6 (permalink)
kittens

I don't think anything will really happen it just probably is not getting everything that it needs that it would get in the adult cat food.I think maybe you should just talk to your friend.I feel that there is the adult cat food and the kitten food for diffrent reason,just like a newborn baby you don't give them milk you give them formula.

Unread 05-08-2007   #7 (permalink)
Dawnie

Nothing bad can happen. Ragdolls actually tend to mature slowly, but are very big! Even if he looks full grown, he may be only 4-5 months old. Kitten food is meant for kittens to age 1 year. (Also nursing moms or any age, for better nutrition.)

Unread 05-08-2007   #8 (permalink)
crissyp1987

Why not just feed the cat the right food?

Unread 05-08-2007   #9 (permalink)
Angelkiss

Kitten food as Dawnie says should be fed to 12-18 months depending on the brand. Kitten food has a higher percentage of protien and essential fats which help kittens develope and grow into adulthood.
Ragdolls are a large breed and they are not fully mature until they are around four years old. I would not recomend feeding kitten food as long as that though. Especially as Ragdolls have a tendancy to put on a bit too much weight lol.
Plus the kibble is smaller in kitten food and adult cats often swallow this whole. This in itself will not harm the cat but a larger kibble will be more beneficial to the cats teeth.
Angelkiss x

Tags
adult , age , babies , baby , behavior , breed , cat , cat food , cats , color , diet , food , hey , kitten , kitten food , kittens , mistake , newborn , nutrition , pet , puppy , ragdoll , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links