It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-10-2007   #11 (permalink)
cakes4africa

I would rather give my cat tinned food, with an occasional snack of dry food. The problem with cat food, is that the producers add so many hidden ingredients, like cellulose which is actually recycled newspaper, and also substances that get the animals hooked on one specific brand, like a druggie. Things like nicotine are added to the food, and are called flavour enhancers or something, and the cat then only wants THAT specific brand of food. They then need their daily fix!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-10-2007   #12 (permalink)
kerrianne c

ive known people to do it and there cats were way too thin, but could be becuase they were not the right sort, but i think kittens have to start of on meat

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-10-2007   #13 (permalink)
Ellie L

I was told by my vet that the dried food is far better as it ensures the cats teeth last longer, and the foods contain everything the cat needs. Better to buy a quality dried food though, you can get ones that are formulated for all differnt types of cat. From kittens to senior cats, and including one with an anti hairball additive. Excellent from thos elong haired cats!

Unread 05-10-2007   #14 (permalink)
squirrely_girl

yes, althouth for a treat, you can soak cat food in warm water or milk, and PRESTO! wet cat food that they love! They like it, and it's cheap for you!

Unread 05-10-2007   #15 (permalink)
JUO

Definitely!! It smells much better than the wet and is so much easier to clean up. Just be sure to pick an age-appropriate blend. I prefer Iam's brand because of the low ash content.

Unread 05-10-2007   #16 (permalink)
miss smidgey

my cat who is 12years old has only ever eaten dry complete food ,always been in perfect health ,also no tooth decay like tinned food causes

Unread 05-10-2007   #17 (permalink)
Kat G

I would only give dry, wet food not only helps with hair balls but, they need the protein.

Unread 05-10-2007   #18 (permalink)
Randomstatic

Yes it is fine to give adult cats dry food only. *But* you *MUST* give them access to fresh water all day. One dish of water is not enough, no matter the size of dish. Two medium size dishes should be filled as close to the time you leave as possible, then checked again when you get home and refilled. Plus kidney problems have been known to occur on a dry only diet so consulting a vet before you put your cat on a dry only diet is a must.A kitten cannot eat a dry only diet. They are not strong enough and they do not provide enough fat to maintain the rapid growth that is needed for a healthy adulthood. To switch from a wet diet to a dry diet during their teens, which is anywhere from 6 months to 1 year depending on the breed, mix the wet food with a dry food. Do this only after consulting your vet because if your cat is not ready it can endanger your cat.A last note, a cat that is used to a wet only diet may not eat a dry pet food, and starve even if mixed. When switching you should monitor your cat or kitten to make sure that he is eating.

Unread 05-10-2007   #19 (permalink)
laviastar

when we feed our cats, almost all the time we feed them dry food and there fine. but for kittens no, try cat milk or some sort of soft cat food.

Unread 05-10-2007   #20 (permalink)
snowie

It is ok to feed them just dry food at 8 weeks. I work at Petsmart, and with the food recall for mainly wet food. I would stick to dry food only! I would suggest Science Diet for your kitten, they have the healthiest food, and it is not too expensive.

Tags
adult , age , art , breed , cat , cat food , cat needs , cats , clean , diet , dry , dry food , eating , food , growth , hair balls , health , healthy , hey , home , iam , kitten , kitten food , kittens , love , mat , pet , pet food , petsmart , prize , problem , problems , question , senior , sick , smart , vet , water , weaned , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links