It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-10-2007   #1 (permalink)
shy girl

Default is it ok to feed cats or kittens only dry food?

is it ok to feed cats or kittens only dry food?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-10-2007   #2 (permalink)
{{A Pirates life for me}}

Yes its ok, though i wouldn't recomend it for kittens. Their jaws aren't as strong as older cats, but they can still eat it.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-10-2007   #3 (permalink)
dragonbeauty_7

Yes. Kittens should be fed kitten food for the first few months and then can be switched to regular cat food. I do this slowly as not to make them sick.

Unread 05-10-2007   #4 (permalink)
Marilyn B

I was once told by my vet that our cat needed both--dry and wet.

Unread 05-10-2007   #5 (permalink)
Noonoo's

Some people do but i've heard it can give them bad kidneys,probably best to give him/her the odd bit of meat

Unread 05-10-2007   #6 (permalink)
Perfect_Brat

Yes it is - - - - - - sometimes the wet food can give them "problems" - messy ones - if you know wiat I mean - don't buy the canned wet food - get the "moist""mushy" food in bags or boxes.

Unread 05-10-2007   #7 (permalink)
Pinkflower

That should be fine but i would not recomend it for kitten till they are 3-4months

Unread 05-10-2007   #8 (permalink)
TANYA C

hi i have two cats of my own, and they have dry food and tinned food. but ive heard that if you just feed your cats dry food then their teeth stay healthier. I wish i had of done. But my two are used to eating both sorts now. The only thing you have to do is make sure you have water down at all times for them. And an added bonus is that dry food keeps their coats healthier.hope this anser helped.

Unread 05-10-2007   #9 (permalink)
Emma S

I know people who do this and it is fine. As long as the dried food is a complete food it's OK. Complete basically means it has enough nutrients in there for your cat and you do not have to give them extra supplements.

Unread 05-10-2007   #10 (permalink)
Kathleen R

Definately. You do have to watch with kittens, though. If they are very young (6-8 weeks depending on when and how they were weaned) their teeth and digestive systems may still be too weak to handel hard food. Try dilluting it with a little water or broth. If you do go the broth route, be sure it is one that has little or no salt.

Tags
adult , age , art , breed , cat , cat food , cat needs , cats , clean , diet , dry , dry food , eating , food , growth , hair balls , health , healthy , hey , home , iam , kitten , kitten food , kittens , love , mat , pet , pet food , petsmart , prize , problem , problems , question , senior , sick , smart , vet , water , weaned , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links