It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-11-2007   #1 (permalink)
Lark A

Default My cat is super picky how do I switch him to a healthier food?

When my cat(teddy) was a kitten, he was also picky so I gave him friskies turkey and cheese wet food because it was all he would eat.To this day it is the only thing he wants is friskies turkey and cheese(just that flavor) and if I dont give it to him he cries and makes noise with blinds ,walks on my head etc.It is impossible to ignore.I have been trying to switch him to a healthier food but he cant find anything he likes.I have tried Innova and a few others.Any suggestions of a tasty food for a picky cat?What is a good method for switching foods?He is a ragdoll breed so he is really huge(not fat just large) and eats alot I am afraid if I don't switch him to something else he might get unhealthy or overweight.It is funny because when I adopted him he was extremely tiny but because of his breed he has become huge.Kinda reminds me of Clifford the big red dog.LOL

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-11-2007   #2 (permalink)
Donnie

You can mix his current food with a newer food that you'd like him to start eating. Slowly diminish the amount of the old food you give him and more of the new food. Hopefully he will switch over to the newer food with no problem.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-11-2007   #3 (permalink)
WRF

Unfortunatly the best way is to put it out for him and when he is hungry enough he will eat.

Unread 05-11-2007   #4 (permalink)
Hottie

I am a cat breeder (Persian) so I think I have a good answer for you. First of all find the kind of food u want to switch him to. Then at each feeding mix the old with the new. Each day begin to put more new in the old type of food. This will help you cat not to get the squirts from switching food also. If he still doesn't go for it then remember your the human he needs to eat whats put before him. Give him nothing else and he will eventually eat what u give him. I have been through a similar situation just a few weeks ago and I had no problem switching my picky cat by just adding a little of the new daily. Good Luck!

Unread 05-11-2007   #5 (permalink)
Angelkiss

I totally agree with Donnies advice. I have done the same in the past and it always works for me.
Angelkiss x

Unread 05-11-2007   #6 (permalink)
Gina M

My cat use to be the same way. But eventually cat's get hungry and will eat. Try putting him in a room with the only food source being the cat food you want to feed him. He's not going to do die. He will get hungry eventually and will eat what you give him.

Unread 05-11-2007   #7 (permalink)
allah_alim

HAHA thats so funny cats are silly. My cats are huge babies as well. My cats do not like wet food what so ever, I do not know why. But they snub their nose at it when I try. Also, they are super picky about what treats I get them. If he likes his food then why are you switching it? Just let him eat what he likes. They will not eat if they dont get what they want. My cats like nutro max for kittens and meow mix for kittens.

Unread 05-11-2007   #8 (permalink)
e_bear_68

My cat is very picky and yes I did switch her. That wasn't as hard as I thought.Buy the new food, you put a little of the new food mixed with the old, and slowly you add more of the new food every other day. In a week or two you will have your cat eating the new food with no problems. My cat still doesn't know. Shhh! Don't tell her!

Tags
adopted , advice , art , babies , breed , breeder , cat , cat food , cat's , cats , color , dog , eating , food , fun , funny , funny cats , healthy , hey , kitten , kittens , meow , nose , overweight , persian , problem , problems , ragdoll , silly , suggestions , turkey , type , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links