It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Health & Nutrition
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-12-2007   #1 (permalink)
Pamela C

Default I switched my cats food and she wont eat, and theres a heat wave. What can I do?

I used to feed my cat Wiskas, but I got scared of giving it to her because it might contain wheat gulten. Now I got her Iams dry food (that was aproved not to have it) and she wont eat?In montreal were also enduring a heat wave, can this be stopping her from eating and drinking?Any imformation would be great, thanks in advance.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-12-2007   #2 (permalink)
Manders

She could just be hot. Do you feel like eating when you're hot? She will eat when she is hungry, just make sure there is food available, and lots of water!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-12-2007   #3 (permalink)
Mememom

The heat wave could contirbute to the cat not eating and changing the food. Just leave it out and when the cat gets hungry enough she will try it. If she does this more than a couple of days then call the vet.

Unread 05-12-2007   #4 (permalink)
Margie

Your cat won't starve herself. She'll eat when she's hungry enough. Also, animals usually eat less when it's really hot. Just make sure she has free access to water.

Unread 05-12-2007   #5 (permalink)
Sherri M

Your supposed to slowly intermix the new food with the old food.

Unread 05-12-2007   #6 (permalink)
howmidoin?

With a heat wave, it is entirely possibly she won't eat. Most animals don't eat much during heat spells. Be sure she has plenty of fresh, COOL water to drink. You might also try some wet cat food to tempt her if you are concerned.

Unread 05-12-2007   #7 (permalink)
socalsunshine

Whenever you change a cat's food, you are supposed to do so gradually...the first time using 3/4 of the old food and 1/4 of the new, then 1/2 and 1/2, then 3/4 new and 1/4 old, then all new. I don't have enough patience to do that with my cats when I periodically switch on them, and they rebel by not eating until I add back some of their old food.Why are you afraid of wheat gluten--is your cat allergic, or does it cause problems for cats? Unless it's a matter of life and death with the food, I'd recommend the gradual switch process explained above.I think heat can diminish the appetite (and activity) of cats, but if your cat isn't eating *anything*, it's cause for concern. Make sure she has plenty of water too, and a cool place to retreat to.

Unread 05-12-2007   #8 (permalink)
pennies544

Just keep trying and give it plenty of water,mother nature will do the rest,the cat will eat sooner or later.

Unread 05-12-2007   #9 (permalink)
tkamarie

Cats are very finiky. The question is was the food a recommened change by the vet if not I would switch back due to the heat wave it it was nessisary then definately try to get her to eat it. OK so try warming it or adding water or even a little tuna juice from like a can of tuna, or even chicken juice. Cats like the stinky food. Cats are the hardest to get to eat and if your noticing her not eating takeher to vet, to make sure not dehydrated. You can also tell if she is at home by feeling the back of her neck if the skin pulls up and stays she needs to be taken to the vet. if not then she must be drinking water.

Unread 05-12-2007   #10 (permalink)
getalifebud

My cats are the pickiest eaters. I have to buy a certain brand of catfood. Just leave it out and when your cat gets hungry, they will eat it. My cats slow down on eating when I buy a different brand, so don't worry. If your cat won't eat it after a day or so, just go back to your regular brand. Check online to see a list of pulled cat food.

Tags
allergic , cat , cat food , cat's , cats , cool , dry , dry food , eating , food , free , great , heat , hey , home , mat , meow , not eating , problems , question , scared , vet , water , won't eat , worry

Sponsored Cat Links