It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-13-2007   #1 (permalink)
NeatFreak

Default HELP! My cat is obsessed with food!?

My male cat (6 yrs old) is a PIG! Last year he reached 17 lbs and was so chubby he could no longer clean himself propperly because he couldn't reach. The vet switched him from free choice dry to organic wet food 1/2 can, twice a day with 1/2 tsp virgin coconut oil . My other cat adjusted to this new feeding portion and schedule with no problem. My fat kitty has been a monster. All he does is circle underfoot and howl to be fed. He hovers near his food dish all day licking the floor. He gets desparate and eats plants, string, lint...whatever. (Then throw them up.) He begins SCREAMING at 4AM to be fed. When screaming doesn't work, he jumps on our heads...hard. As of this very moment he just finished dinner and is howling for more.I can't stand it. He has lost 5 pounds. If I let him get fat again he'll return to being a slob and I don't want to go back to inspecting my furniture for stains and the cat for dingleberries and skidmarks. Any suggestions?FYI- he's been on this "new" diet for a year...I'm at my wits end!!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-13-2007   #2 (permalink)
nativeangel88

My cat is also use to be like that, but she got use to her feeding chart and now she is a healthy cat. Who loves to play. It takes time, but just let your cat know that you still love it and try not to feed the cat that much. The cat eventually will get use to it.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-13-2007   #3 (permalink)
usourselvesandourcats

You have to keep up with the new eating schedule. Call the vet and ask if you can give 2-3 treats a day and if so which brand, in between the feeding time. Cats sometimes eat house plants to throw up their anyway. Ask the vet if you can put pet grass by his feeding spot, and make sure he does not overfeed himself grass. Play with him regularly to help him maintain his weight. He will get attention he needs not through food but games.

Unread 05-13-2007   #4 (permalink)
pepsiii6615

it will take time. dont give in and dont let anyone else give in. no snack!!! otherwise he will never learn that he needs to be feed at the same time every day and theres nothing he can do about it my dog is like you cat she likes licking the floor and other stuff because she doesnt have free fead food now

Unread 05-13-2007   #5 (permalink)
lucki_ducki02

lol oh you poor think lol. my cat does the same thing. in the morning she will head butt us until she gets our attention and if we roll over and ignore her she will bite our noses. usually though she just needs to be let into the bathroom where her litter box is. we have all our cats on a one time feeding only. they know when its food time. it took us a while to get them used to it instead of being fed one huge amount that would last them all day. now we only feed them once at night just enough to make their bellies full. then we all go to bed. when we get home we play with them to get their exercise in and then relax. then we feed them again and start all over. trust me it will take a little while but in the long run he will be a very happy kitty.

Unread 05-13-2007   #6 (permalink)
H F

put rocks in his food it sloes him down on eating also he wont be able to eat as much

Tags
art , bite , box , cat , cats , clean , diet , dog , dry , eating , food , free , fur , furniture , games , healthy , home , house , kitty , licking , litter , litter box , lost , male , morning , night , pet , play , problem , stains , suggestions , vet , weight , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links