It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-14-2007   #1 (permalink)
colleen n

Default my cat urinates everwhere but her litter box. she will poop in her box. i

keep it clean. no health problems?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-14-2007   #2 (permalink)
Wabuzzi

Female cats don't mark their territory like males do. Either she doesn't like the brand of litter and/or box or she has a health problem. Try changing litter pans and brand of litter. If that doesn't help, take her to the vet.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-14-2007   #3 (permalink)
andi w

Sounds territorial, sometimes cats get this way even if they are fixed, I notice a lot more so if they aren't. There are good products to remove cat urine odor so she won't feel the need to remark spots you've cleaned. I have had success with Arm & Hammer spray for pet odor. I had a female cat who used to mark spots when she was in heat, since she was fixed she has not done that. If you live in a place where other cats have been before it might be her saying "hey this is mine" I believe scratching a spot says that too, if you have a scratch post and she goes to the same spot maybe putting the scratch post in the 'designated urinating area' may help. Good luck!

Unread 05-14-2007   #4 (permalink)
tiny1488

some cats prefer a litter box for fecal matter and another litter box to urinate in or it (he/she?) may be marking territory

Unread 05-14-2007   #5 (permalink)
wombaroo4502

Female cats don't mark territory. It may likely be some sort of urinary infection. A lot of times they get "crystals" in their urine. Ask your vet, it can usually be solved pretty easily with either a very inexpensive antibiotic, or even a change of food.

Unread 05-14-2007   #6 (permalink)
heysanj75

If your cat is marking than a clean litter box makes no difference. Alot of cats still mark after being fixed unfortunately. This can be for a number of reasons. A few things that can be done is try getting a litter with an attractant. Its called Cat attract, Sold at PetSmart. Also try buying a product called Comfort Zone with feliway. Its a natural pheramone that will calm her down and stop alot of behaviors like marking and even scratching. Clean up the nasty spots with an enzymatic cleaner that is made specifically for cat urine and spray. Also sold at PetSmart. You can not buy these types of cleaners at the grocery store. The special enzymes will kill the odor not only to you, but to the cat as well. Ammonia and vinegar will attract them to go back to the same spot. So do not use these to clean. Good luck!

Unread 05-14-2007   #7 (permalink)
ambitiousoptimism

My cat did that a while ago (we have two) and one day he peed on a pillow and he had crystals in it. We took him to the vet and they said he would have died within 24 -48 hours most likely. He had a problem in his urinary tract where the crystals were blocking it. I'd take him to the vet ASAP to rule out any health problems.

Tags
antibiotic , box , calm , cat , cats , clean , female , fixed , food , health , heat , hey , in heat , infection , litter , litter box , mat , natural , pet , petsmart , poop , problem , problems , scratching , smart , stop , territorial , urine , vet

Sponsored Cat Links