It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-16-2007   #1 (permalink)
Nicolleta

Default Why does my cat growl if I try to take her food?

My cat is a pure bred Devon Rex straight from the breeder so there should be no history of abuse or food issues. She is sweet and loving but if you give her food and then try to take it away she will grown and even hiss. (Never bites or scratches though she is a good kitty) There is always food out so it's not like she is starved. It's more funny than anything it's kind of like a dog. I just wonder why she does it.Just to clarify normally I do not take my cat's food away. Sometimes I may give her a treat and she plays with it. I think I picked it up because she was batting it around. That is how I discovered her growling. Now I just do it because it's funny to see her growl. I always give it back..... I know I should not tease her....

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-17-2007   #2 (permalink)
roses89129

it is hers and she does not want you to have it or she just is not done

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-17-2007   #3 (permalink)
Berrex

Well, she's growling because you're taking away her food. I mean, if you gave me a hamburger and took it away from me when I was half done, I'd sure as hell growl at you too, whether I'm starving or not. =P

Unread 05-17-2007   #4 (permalink)
Anna A

Tigers and other big cats are very territorial and will not like their "Property" taken away, let her eat and give her love later.

Unread 05-17-2007   #5 (permalink)
bms0416

How happy would you be if I was the one that fed you and I took your food away?

Unread 05-17-2007   #6 (permalink)
Kayleigh B

It may be a sign of food agression. When animals (dogs and cats) are young, they should be exposed to people's hands in their food and people taking them or their food away. If this doesn't happen at a certain age they can become food agressive. It's nothing to worry about if she's not biting, just don't take her food away!

Unread 05-17-2007   #7 (permalink)
**WhItNeY**

lol. Some animals do this. It is "her" food.. to her, SHE "found" it, and no one else should take it... Cats are all different though. My cat finds it necessary to "uncover" his water bowl before he drinks But like I said, that's just her personality.. She's protective over her yummies :P

Unread 05-17-2007   #8 (permalink)
msnwaves

would you like someone taking ur dinner off the table? well she apparently doesn't appreciate it either.

Unread 05-17-2007   #9 (permalink)
samuel

Well let's see, I'm going to take away your food when you eat it. Would you like it? That's basicly the reason. My cat will only do it if you take away the food she took from you first.

Unread 05-17-2007   #10 (permalink)
Angelkiss

In a litter of kittens I always find there are one or two that are dominant especially around the food bowls. They growl at the others and very often the others back off. I tend to feed them seperately to give the others a chance. Your cat is showing its dominance and warning you to back off.
I would not tease her as even the most mild mannered cat can have a bad day!
Angelkiss x

Tags
age , agression , agressive , bat , bites , biting , breeder , cat , cat's , cats , color , devon rex , dog , dogs , dominance , food , found , fun , funny , growl , growling , happy , hey , hiss , kittens , kitty , love , loving , personality , territorial , water , worry

Sponsored Cat Links