It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-17-2007   #1 (permalink)
cuteebony29

Default Am i harming my dog giving her cat food?

She hates dog food,we have been giving her cat food,which she loves very much,well we have been told,that we are doing our dog harm,a friend of ours said so,i have tryed all kinds of dog food to no avail....help!No she doesnt get diahorrea,i have been giving it to her for months plus the owners who had her before,were giving it to her,thats how come we ended up giving her it in the first place,last time i tried i really perserved,2 days!...she is soo stubborn

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-17-2007   #2 (permalink)
renaissance

Thats like giving me goldfish food - not really made for me...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-17-2007   #3 (permalink)
GMartin376

I was always told that cat food is a little too rich for a dog, but is ok occasionally.

Unread 05-17-2007   #4 (permalink)
Katie85

I don't know about harming your dog but if you look at the ingredients on a tin of dog food against those on cat food they are quite different.

I can't imagine it being too bad as a treat, do you know what it is your dog likes, is it the gravy or a certain brand? You could try asking your vet for a dog friendly alternative or for vitamins to boost its diet.

However if your dog has been raised on this I can imagine it being very very difficult trying to persuade it otherwise!

Unread 05-17-2007   #5 (permalink)
bugaboo

I can't see no harm in it.

Unread 05-17-2007   #6 (permalink)
qwerty

if the dog eats it, it likes it

Unread 05-17-2007   #7 (permalink)
shariwharton

dogs and cats have different nutrional needs - you need to start weaning her, the longer you leave it the worse its going to be for both of you.

Unread 05-17-2007   #8 (permalink)
Clover16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteebony29 View Post
She hates dog food,we have been giving her cat food,which she loves very much,well we have been told,that we are doing our dog harm,a friend of ours said so,i have tryed all kinds of dog food to no avail....help!No she doesnt get diahorrea,i have been giving it to her for months plus the owners who had her before,were giving it to her,thats how come we ended up giving her it in the first place,last time i tried i really perserved,2 days!...she is soo stubborn
shariwharton is right on the money. According to what I've read in nutrition books, the calcium/phosphorus ratio for both cats and dogs is a critical part of their diet and each has different needs. Have you considered checking out some written material on dog nutrition and maybe trying to mix up a batch of something at home? Another benefit would be no tainted food, you'd know just what was in it.

Unread 05-17-2007   #9 (permalink)
katrina g

my dog eats my cats food once in a while...it doesnt make him sick at all..in fact he actually has more energy and goes poo better too!

Unread 05-17-2007   #10 (permalink)
walkinglady

Yes, you are. Cat food is formulated for cats and not good for dogs. Choose a top quality food - Canidae, Solid Gold, Innova, eg., and stick with it. No healthy dog will ever starve itself to death. No treats, no cat food, just dog food and your dog will soon eat it and be much healthier.

Tags
advice , art , books , cat , cat food , cats , diet , dog , dogs , eating , food , friendly , healthy , hey , home , hurt , money , nutrition , pet , poo , problem , puppy , sick , small , vet , weaned , weaning

Sponsored Cat Links