It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-18-2007   #1 (permalink)
Rhondara

Default My cat acts like I starve him. When I put down food, he eats it so fast

that he doesn't even chew it.? I have three cats and the other two act just fine. He's my only male cat. I have to seperate him from the other two during feeding so that they can eat. Other wise he will eat all the food I put down and throw up. I thought he was having a king complex but watching him even eating by himself he is still swallowing the food whole.I have had my cat since he was 8 weeks old. He has always eatin this way and his about seven months old now. Hes never been an out door cat and I have always put down enough for everyone. I take a bowl of food to the bathroom and feed him in there by him self. I feed them once in the morning and once at night.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-19-2007   #2 (permalink)
Joe F

Is he from a previous home? Has he had to compete for food in the past?I've seen similar behavior in pets that had to struggle to get their food at some point in their lives. Never found a way to stop the behavior, only separate them as you have.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-19-2007   #3 (permalink)
Puma is my cat

I honestly dont know what you should do, but my best advice is to give him just a bowl, enough for the whole day, and not give him more. he could just be growing, could think hes spoiled, or he might be sick. Good luck!

Unread 05-19-2007   #4 (permalink)
Diane S

He may have worms or maybe becoming diabetic. If this behaviour has only just started recenly after normal behaviour I would take him to the vet for sure. Maybe just get him checked out anyway just to make sure nothing bad is going on.

Unread 05-19-2007   #5 (permalink)
Diana R

Are you feeding high quality food, and enough of it? Has he been to a vet? If not, take him for a check up. He should have vaccines and neutering anyway. If there is a physical cause, the vet can tell you. It may be a personality trait. Separating him for feeding is smart - and watch that he doesn't gain too much weight. Another possibility is that he's bored. Giving him activity, toys and attention may help. Try getting one of those "puzzle" feeders (mostly they're for dogs). It makes a game out of eating and slows down the process.

Tags
advice , behavior , behaviour , cat , cats , diabetic , dogs , eating , fast , food , found , game , hey , home , male , morning , neutering , night , personality , sick , smart , stop , struggle , toys , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links