It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-19-2007   #1 (permalink)
chalk51

Default I have an indoor/outdoor cat. Would keeping him indoors only have any...

...bad affects on his health? I am concerned about lack of fresh air, sunshine, exercise, and nibbling on the front lawn.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-19-2007   #2 (permalink)
Katie85

Is there a sudden need to keep him indoors? If not I would let them carry on as they have been or you may have problems with crying to be out, attempted escapes and howling through the night.

My 2 cats are indoor cats due to the area I live in being next to busy roads and also for health reasons (plus they have never been out so don't know what they are missing). Some people say indoor cats live longer as there is less risk of accidental injury or death (cars, poisons, nast people) but others say cats belong outdoors in the fresh air catching mice and chasing birds.

You should do whatever you feel is right for them as they are your responsibility and you know what is best for them, not what you feel obliged to do.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-19-2007   #3 (permalink)
Yahoogirl

>>Several years ago my indoor/outdoor cat got his jaw broken which was so bad that it blinded him in one eye. Since then he has been indoor only. He so wants to go out again. The one thing I have noticed though is that he has put on a lot of weight. Good Luck

Unread 05-19-2007   #4 (permalink)
Diana B

well kind of yes you have to let your cat outside at least 5-15 minutes i have a cat myself it was really overweight it stayed inside all day then i decicded to let him out about couPle months ago and now hes fight and strong(my friends cant even reconise him!)

Unread 05-19-2007   #5 (permalink)
ever_amused

I look at it this way - if we never went outside, we'd never get in car wrecks, get fewer diseases, and overall most likely be safer.But would we be happy?My cat is an indoor/outdoor critter, pretty much like me, and if she has to stay in even one day she's in misery, crying at the door and begging.So, what good is all that safety if you're miserable? My bet is that if you asked the cat, the cat would want to keep going out.

Unread 05-19-2007   #6 (permalink)
Katherine

Keeping you're cat indoors wouldn't be bad for his health, he can sit up at windows and sun bath in the sun shining in through the window. You can if you are worried about this you can get a kitty harness and leash and bring him to the backyard. It's ot best to let him outside loose because for cats there is alot of dangers. He may not return home, he may get in a fight, dogs, cars. ~Kat~Katherine~

Unread 05-19-2007   #7 (permalink)
Kayla B

I have two indoor cats, myself. They do just fine and are perfectly healthy. The only difference I see is that they're safer. There are so many different factors that could kill a cat outdoors. The only health risk of not being allowed out is weight gain. Watch your cat's food intake and play with it.

www.saveacat.org

Unread 05-19-2007   #8 (permalink)
Kilala

Keeping him inside would be better. If you keep your cat inside then the lifespan will increase. The cat will be free of any outdoor risks, which means no injurys or fight releated diseases such as feline leukemia which can kill your cat or greatly reduce it's lifespan. If will also mean less grooming for you to give the cat. Indoor cats don't get nearly as many ticks or fleas as outdoor cats do. If your cat yearns for fresh air, then let him or her outside for a while to get a little bit of the outdoors. Before letting him out again though for a few minutes, keep him inside for 2 days straight, so he gets a taste of indoor life. If your cat still yearns for more fresh air then just let him stay outside.

Unread 05-19-2007   #9 (permalink)
rain12

I have had my cat for eight years, indoor only, and she is doing fine! I don't have any trouble with her weight or nutrition. I feed her Meow Mix Indoors dry food, and it seems to do the job.

Unread 05-19-2007   #10 (permalink)
funkadelic_monkey

I highly doubt it would affect his health much, if anything he might live longer. But it would be pure torture to stop letting your cat go outside. what's the point of having him live a mere extra year if he's unhappy? I think you should keep him as he is.

Tags
bath , birds , car , care , cat , cat's , catching , cats , crying , dogs , dry , dry food , eye , fight , fleas , food , free , friends , grooming , happy , health , healthy , hey , home , indoor , indoor/outdoor , kitty , meow , missing , night , nutrition , outdoor , overweight , play , problems , stop , weight

Sponsored Cat Links