It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-21-2007   #1 (permalink)
toffee c

Default How do I get Melamine out of my cat's food?

My cat is really sluggish recently and I think it's because of Melamine in her food. Can I boil it out?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-21-2007   #2 (permalink)
flhomeschoolers

You cannot. If the cat food might be tainted, STOP feeding it immediately. If boiling it out would make it safe people would have done that. Check out the list of recalled food here: http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.htmlIf it is on the list is it worth your pet dying or suffering a long death rather than buying a new bag of food?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-21-2007   #3 (permalink)
dog's best friend

Bring her to the vet asap. No, you can't boil it out but honestly, bring her to the vet. If you think something is in her food, bring that in too.

Unread 05-21-2007   #4 (permalink)
Spazmaniandevil

Melamine sublimes at above 250C and decomposes at 280C, boiling it in water will only cause it to condense and dissolve. Try leaving the catfood in the oven at above 280C for about an hour or 2. If you smell an ammonia like odor that would be melamine decomposing. You can also get rid of it by placing the catfood in a coffee filter rinse the food with a non-toxic solevent called DMSO (Availible at many stores that sell herbal medicine and vitamines). Follow it by rinsing the catfood in another coffee filter thoroughly with distilled or deionized water. Wait untill the water is drained completly then serve it. However my recomendation is not to feed it period

www.inchem.org

Tags
cat , cat food , cat's , dying , food , smell , stop , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links