It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-21-2007   #1 (permalink)
silvia781231

Default I got bitten by a stray cat. What are the dangers to my health?

I got bitten by a stray cat. What are the dangers to my health?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-21-2007   #2 (permalink)
SapphireSeaFairy

Infection and rabies.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-21-2007   #3 (permalink)
Ðålmå†ï¢å_78

Bites are nasty, because humans and animals carry a lot of bacteria in the saliva. Was the cat displaying any unusual behaviours? My main concern here would be rabies in all honesty, though it is "unlikely" it can happen. If the cat was not symptomatic of weird behaviour such as salivating from the mouth, acting crazed, afraid of water, and whatnot it's most likely irrelevant. Lastly, just call your doctor and explain what happened. They are the ones who will know what to do.

Unread 05-21-2007   #4 (permalink)
sunset

The most common one, and I got while tending to a stray cat was...Cat scratch disease is a bacterial infection that typically causes swelling of the lymph nodes. It usually results from the scratch, lick, or bite of a cat — more than 90% of people with the illness have had some kind of contact with cats, often with kittens.

Unread 05-21-2007   #5 (permalink)
jeprx

Rabies & Tetanus.Consult a doctor immediately. They will give a anti-tetanus toxoid shot & probably anti-rabies. Remember that incubation of rabies can sometimes reach up to 10 years before it attacks you fatally.

Unread 05-21-2007   #6 (permalink)
Daniel F

plenty - cat bites are very prone to infection! you may want to call your doctor and get on an antibiotic. definitely see your doctor if you begin to have swelling and redness.

Tags
antibiotic , bite , bites , cat , cats , health , hey , infection , kittens , rabies , scratch , stray , water , weird

Sponsored Cat Links