It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-24-2007   #1 (permalink)
macgurl

Default Advice and Opinions Needed

I posted this on another board also, so I apologize if you visit both and you've seen this... but I really need the help

so....

Hi everyone!

I have a 5 year old cat named Tux. Throughout the past week we'd been noticing that Tux seemed to be getting smaller until I picked him up on Saturday morning and he was literally skin and bones. I cried and freaked out and came to the conclusion that he had stopped eating.

We didn't have money for the emergency Vet and so I got all of his old favourite foods that we'd stopped feeding him a couple years ago in favour of a more health conscious brand and put them all over the house in his "spots"

Tux was so weak and layed around for all of Saturday but by me following him around with my water glass and giving him fresh wet food whenever he went by the bowl he started to eat and drink. His first bowl movement was like black tar and there were some strange things in there (I put it in a container for the vet). We initially thought parasite and called the Vet early monday morning to make an appointment (that we really can't afford) and have one for Friday.

With more love and feeding and constant monitoring Tux is eating (wet and dry food), he's got his weight back and he's going the bathroom normally. His stool has no black tar bits and is really quite normal and healthy.

Could he have just stopped eating because he had a sore tummy and then by us making him eat and drink so much he flushed it out with that one really bad bowl movement? Does that happen?

Should we buy the parasite medication and try it? If we wait until August 10 to take him to the Vet we'll be able to pay for it and not go without food for two weeks, but should we wait?

He seems like normal him again, but that was just... scary.

Opinions? Advice?

Thank You

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-25-2007   #2 (permalink)
macgurl

Thank you for replying. We don't actually see any worms at all actually and he's gained his weight back.

but regardless we do need to take him to the Vet. It's not that I'm complaining about how much it will cost. I've spent thousands of dollars on my baby. It's more that I don't have any money to spend right now. None. Sometimes that's the circumstance that life puts you in. I'm trying to sell my computer and anything else I can find actually. I would do anything for him, which is why we probably won't have anything to eat for the next two weeks.

I more needed to know how urgent this is because he seems - fine again. Like the past three days didn't happen. I know I can't just pretend they didn't and the world is happy again, but it's just such a strange situation.

We only thought it may be a parasite because of the tar stool and it looked strange. His stool is now fine.

I had actually thought it may be diabetes. So I guess we will see on Friday morning.

Thank you for putting the feeling that this is urgent back into me.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
advice , baby , black , cat , computer , diabetes , dry , dry food , eating , happy , health , healthy , hey , house , love , money , morning , scary , urgent , vet , water , weight , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links