It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-21-2008   #1 (permalink)
jab1205

Default Constipated Kitty

I'm new to this forum, but just thought that I could use some outside opinions regarding my boyfriend's cat.

Our cat, Fatty, is about 5-6 years old, she is a little overweight, but otherwise healthy. Within the last year or so, she has been having severe constipation. After the first time it happened, my boyfriend took her to the vet where they manually went in and cleaned her out so to speak. She was giving a small amount of laxative for a few weeks and they sent her home with a case of canned Hill's W/D perscription food and that was it. I however changed her diet completely. I switched her food to Nutro Natural Choice, which is what I feed my cats at home. It has all natural ingredients and no crazy animal products. After switching her diet, she shed less, looked healthier, and her fur turned into this smooth, shiny coat! She stopped eating the w/d food after awhile, losing interest in it. Fatty had been doing really really well for 7 months without any sort of problems.

Recently, Fatty had again developed signs of constipation, she was still passing bowels, but I could tell that she was struggling. I took her off dry food, and gave her that canned w/d food again, which she actually ate. It still wasn't helping as much as I would have liked, so we took her to the vet again, where they again recommened the Hill's W/D canned food and gave us a large contatiner of Enulose laxative to give her twice a day. The laxative had been helping, but she still seems backed up a bit. I feel like the laxative is becoming a vicious circle and that we are becoming too reliant upon it to help her have a bowel movement.

To sum this long story up, I am concerned with how much or if the Hill's W/D food is actually helping her whatsoever. I honestly hate the ingredients in that food and cringe when I have to feed it to her.

Does anyone have any suggestions or dealt with this situation with their pet??? Help!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-21-2008   #2 (permalink)
Tater

We had severe hairball trouble. The vet recommended the usual hairball remedy that is available anywhere. This stuff is mostly flavored grease. Along with the expected result came a good cleaning.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
animal , boyfriend , canned food , cat , cats , changed , cleaning , constipation , crazy , diet , dry , dry food , eating , food , fur , healthy , hey , home , kitty , natural , new to this , overweight , pet , problems , small , story , suggestions , vet

Sponsored Cat Links