It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-20-2008   #1 (permalink)
Bay

Default Need some advice as quickly as possible

Hi all..I'm new here. I need some quick information about a litter of kittens that I pulled out from under my neighbors home. The babies are now two week old (I know the age because I had to cut the umbilical cords and remove placenta..the placenta was cold..as if taken from the fridge). The mother cat is sick..very congested,sneezing ect. We lost two kittens quickly and when a third got sick we took them to the vet. The vet said it was "most likely feline herpes" and gave us Lysine to give to the mother cat. That was well over a week ago and she's no better. I've called the vet several times..they aren't giving me much information. Each time I call someone tells me something different. Now they say the chart says feline asthma..sheesh. So anyway..we have two babies..

One is very sick..this came on within two days..his chest is congested..I can hear it bubbling. I've been using steam,giving pedialyte (sp?) and clindamycin. My question is..should I remove the one baby that seems healthy and start bottle feeding? I don't want her to end up like the other one. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I have literally no money for a vet, I spent all I had a week ago on the kittens..the vet just keeps saying to bring them in. Any other advice for the chest congestion would be great also.

One more thing..what is the exact dosing of clindamycin for a two week old kitten. He's a good size..looks more like a four week old kitten..big boy.

Thank you.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-20-2008   #2 (permalink)
nancyjw3

get to an emergency hospital ASAP! and find another vet.
DO NOT GIVE ANTIBIOTICS TO A NEWBORN UNLESS THE VET PRESCRIBES!!!!!
I dont know if u can save the babies but u might be able to save mama.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-20-2008   #3 (permalink)
Bay

Hi Nancy,

I appreciate your replying. As I stated in my post I have no money for a vet..I can't get blood out of a turnip...none..zip. It's worrying me too..about giving them meds...however...I've tried emergency vet services and they refuse to see me unless I can pay at the time of visit. These are little strays that I've stayed up literally days trying to help.

I realize that there is a proper way to do things and a vet would be wonderful..however I don't have that choice right now. What I need is some solid advice here from someone that has experience. Please save the "Go to the VET NOW" advice..this simply can't be done and I'm agonizing over that fact.

Unread 05-20-2008   #4 (permalink)
jerome

Hi there!

Have a look on Google for the symptoms, you'll surely find useful tips there.

Unread 05-20-2008   #5 (permalink)
braceegenny4m

i had new borns as well, i had to go to my nearest animal store they have professionals that are either going to school to be a vet or know some stuff call them for free advice, try pet co. or any other animal stores to get toys,food, meds,ect. they gave me advice for a sick newborn..

Unread 05-21-2008   #6 (permalink)
nancyjw3

Bay,believe me i have been there.
i hope your kitties are still hanging in there.it sounds like they have feline distemper.it is a very serious illness but they can pull thru.
they need to be on IV fluids and anti-biotics.U can learn to give sub-q fluids at home,it is cheaper.keep them warm,and get them some steam,like in the bathrom w/the shower on.it will help loosen the gunk and help them breathe.if a cat can't smell it's food it won't eat.
i have been absolutely broke,when one of my cats became fatally ill.
i got one the phone and didn't stop untill i found some organization that was willing to pay the vet bills.
there are ppl out there who will do this for you.
it takes some doing but it is easier to find someone that will pay vet bills.if you reassure them that you are willing to keep the kitties and take responsibility for them.
the hardest thing is to find someone to take them.
every organization is overcrowed,they have more than they can place.good luck and let us kno how u do.

Tags
advice , age , animal , antibiotics , asthma , babies , baby , bills , boy , cat , cats , cold , cut , food , found , free , great , healthy , hey , home , kittens , litter , loss , lost , money , newborn , pet , question , save , sick , smell , strays , tips , toys , vet , vet bills , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links