It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-26-2008   #1 (permalink)
Piki

Unhappy Toxoplasmosis or a brain tumor?

Sat Jun 21
We are devastated. My 10 yr old cat was fine up until this morning. I was immediately worried because he was showing these symptoms:
- Compulsive walking and walking in circles as if possessed.
- Pressing the head against hard surfaces.
- not quite mood swings but grooming while taking breaks from eating (not manic grooming).
- looking and walking as if intoxicated & not responding to visual or auditory things.

Took him to our vet right away & we are trying to treat him with antibiotics ... the vet thinks it could be toxoplasmosis or a tumor.

Has anyone experienced this?

--

Fast forward to yesterday .. . Update: Piki is almost back to 80% perfect health.. at least he is behaving like so. The official blood test results come back this week.

--
Today: Jun 26th 2008.
VERY BAD NEWS, Piki was getting better up until yesterday. This morning, just about to be on my way to work I noticed he was pacing aimlessly, not totally there. This time not in tight right circles but more to the left, following the entire perimeter of the living room. This was at 9am, it is now 7:45pm. He is in his room, not looking good at all. But not as bas as he was. Any ideas?

Also, Piki has been on Prednisone & Antirobe Aquadrops.

Last edited by Piki; 06-26-2008 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Adding med info.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-23-2008   #2 (permalink)
jill_elizabeth

Question Re: Cat walking in circles

Hi Piki -

Our nine year old Persian, Oscar has the same symptoms. Four days ago, I knew something was wrong, when I shook the kitty treat container and Oscar did not come running, as he always had. I found him in the living room, sitting up and staring at the wall. He looked odd - his eyes were glazed and half closed and he did not respond when I called his name. A few minutes later, he began walking in small circles but seemed to spend most of his time just sitting in the corner. I took him to the vet the following morning and he agreed that that Oscar was unable to see. Tests and X-Rays showed no abnormalities. They were able to rule out hypertension, high blood pressure, diabetes, kidney disease, lung tumors or thyroid problem. He was diagnosed with an inner ear infection and put on two types of antibiotics as well as ear drops. The vet doesn't believe he has toxoplasmosis, as he is an indoor only cat. But he said there is a possibility that it could be a brain tumor, because Oscar circles to the left. We are waiting to see how responds to the medication, before going ahead with an MRI.

It has been almost five days and Oscar has shown some improvement. Both pupils are responding to light and he seems to be in better spirits. He hasn't lost his appetite and is able to find his way around to the food, water and litter box; but it is clear that he has lost most - if not all -of his sight.

If there is anyone else whose kitty has experienced these types of symptoms - please let me know the outcome. To the original poster - I hope your cat has recovered and is doing well.

=^..^=

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-27-2008   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

I believe tocoplasmosis is very rare and it's caused by a parasite. Hope your cat gets well.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

|
Unread 08-28-2008   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I hope he will get well soon!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 08-29-2008   #5 (permalink)
jill_elizabeth

Smile Thank you

Thank you both for your well wishe. I am delighted to report that Oscar is doing much, much better. He has been on two different oral antibiotics as well as ear-drops, for his inner ear infection. He is no longer walking in circles and has definitely regained some of his vision. He seems happy and is as affectionate as ever.

I am still concerned as to what could have possibly caused him to lose his sight so suddenly. He is going back to the vet for a ollow up next week - so I will let you know what happens.

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life - music and cats."

Unread 08-30-2008   #6 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Thats good news about Oscar.Hope it goes well at the vets.I love that quote.xxxxx
Unread 08-30-2008   #7 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

How is Piki doing?Keep us informed.xxxxx
Unread 08-31-2008   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Great news, but how's Piki doing?

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 09-02-2008   #9 (permalink)
jill_elizabeth

Thank you - I believe the quote is by Albert Schweitzer.

Unread 09-02-2008   #10 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My favourite pastimes,cats and music.How is Oscar?xxxxx

Tags
affectionate , antibiotic , antibiotics , baby , box , boy , care , cat , cats , diabetes , ear infection , eating , eyes , fixed , food , found , furniture , gift , great , grooming , happy , health , hey , hyper , indoor , infection , kitty , litter , litter box , lost , love , morning , persian , pet , problem , rare , sleeping , small , sudden blindness , test , vet , water , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links